Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, I was thinking of trying the dual K&N filters setup after a friend of mine tried them and clocked 3 mpg better overall in his 2008 RRS.

I'm not getting bad mileage now, approx 15.2 with mixed driving- approx 60% town/40% 2-3 mile runs on the highway.

I figured if I could bump that up 1-2 mpg in general, then 90 bucks isn't a bad investment into the filters.

I CAN vouche for what they did on my 2010 GMC truck, I got about 2 mpg better on the highway with one in over the stock filter, and thats a big improvement for a truck IMO.

Anyone try them, or anything similar?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
290 Posts
I've had them in the past (96 Suburban & 01 GMC Denali), and can't say they really did that much. The current RRS air system is a pretty good design, and good maintenance is really all you need. As fuel prices have risen in recent years, engineers are trying their best to eek out good MPG, and wouldn't leave 3 mpg on the table if they could avoid it. The only thing I remember about the K&N filter is that it made the engine sound "meaner".

Also, you will hear some feedback about the "filter oil" clogging up the MAF (air flow sensors), and causing early failures. K&N has put out a lot of noise trying to debunk this issue, but there are still many who argue that it does cause problems. I personally put 50k on both GM's, and this never came up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have had K&Ns on other cars (installed by previous owners) and have always thrown them out for a normal, high quality paper filter. It's too easy to over-oil the filter when you're cleaning it and then foul up sensitive sensors and such.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Watch K&N dance around this subject...

9. Will installing a K&N performance intake system void my factory warranty?

Most K&N air intake systems are warranted for 1,000,000 miles which exceeds the warranty offered on the original factory intake system.

The installation of an air intake system should not void your factory warranty. It is never a bad idea to contact your local dealership and ask them before purchasing the new K&N system whether they will object. If they tell you an air intake system will void your vehicle warranty, please contact us and we will speak with the dealership directly to clear up the misunderstanding. Another idea would be to contact a different dealer who may have a different policy since many dealerships actually sell K&N intake systems.

As an additional level of comfort, we also offer our Consumer Protection Pledge. It takes customer service to an even higher level by giving you confidence that when you buy K&N you get on-going support from a team of professionals who will talk directly to dealerships to resolve any questions that may come up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.