Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 118 Posts
yeah after a bunch of research, that's what i'm thinking ... 275/55R20?

i haven't done any research on where to get the rims yet... any suggestions there?

i'm wondering why they don't offer the 20" rims with the RR supercharged... i'm guessing it's a top speed thing, but i'm fine with losing top speed if it gives me confidence offroad. i drive many hundreds of miles onroad, but those last 10 miles offroad getting to the trailheads are key.
I get comments almost on the daily about how cool the car looks with them. If you ever have to drive to Tahoe they also do awesome in the snow.

well i joined the BFG KO2 275/55R20 crowd... it wasn't clear to me the 20" wheels would fit on a supercharged. the front brake calipers are fairly tight on clearance, maybe 0.5". everything so far is as folks mentioned: no tire clearance issues, the spare fits, the speedo seems to match both my phone GPS and roadside speed limit signs. mileage, handling and freeway road noise are good, but i've put less than 100mi on so far.

next weekend i'm headed back to the desert to see how they fare on rocky roads.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Range rover

Nice to see that the 20's fit. Land Rover New Orleans shop keep telling me they won't fit/work on the supercharged. I'd like to get a set.

This my 2014 ATB and my brother's 97 D90. My nephew is hanging on the roof rack. This is in Texas.

Attachments

Reactions: donheller
How's the handling with the 20s on the SC?

well i joined the BFG KO2 275/55R20 crowd... it wasn't clear to me the 20" wheels would fit on a supercharged. the front brake calipers are fairly tight on clearance, maybe 0.5". everything so far is as folks mentioned: no tire clearance issues, the spare fits, the speedo seems to match both my phone GPS and roadside speed limit signs. mileage, handling and freeway road noise are good, but i've put less than 100mi on so far.

next weekend i'm headed back to the desert to see how they fare on rocky roads.

View attachment 213970

This my 2014 ATB and my brother's 97 D90. My nephew is hanging on the roof rack. This is in Texas.
Where in tx? Open course to the public?

It's on my family's ranch two hours NNE of Houston. The area in the photo is very unique to the property as most of it is woodland, rolling hills with grassy pastures and swampy lowlands. Doesn't look challenging in the photo but getting to the top of this ridge is very slippery and rocky with areas that really show off the suspension's capabilities. We have bonfires and cookouts up here :).

Where in tx? Open course to the public?

How's the handling with the 20s on the SC?
well for the first weekend with the new wheels i headed north to bag mount konocti. unfortunately US-101 northbound from SF area is hopelessly congested, so it's hard to compare mileage vs. more well controlled trips. but i did get a great section of road between hopland and finley, on CA-175. this highway is very much a winding mountain road. i'm not one to drift or anything aggressive, but i had the road to myself early in the morning, and i shaved 5 minutes off gmaps estimate. i did have one very brief moment of understeer, but i wasn't going fast enough for it to cause trouble. otherwise the tires stuck as well as i need them to. the only off-pavement on this trip wasn't very challenging for the new tires (but they did eat up the easy dirt awesomely).

for mileage i'll need to compare a few hours on cruise control on I-5... but the real test for me will be rocky desert mountain roads. that's where the stock tires failed, they were easily gouged, and i ended up with a puncture.

at the moment i've got 44lbs in the tires, that's what the shop left them at. that's probably helping the street performance. i'll need to air down before i take them on the rocks.

just reporting back in after my last post: i drove hundreds of miles off-pavement and thousands on-pavement with the BFG KO2, and the verdict on the tires is: awesome. i've driven many desert and mountain roads in southern california, arizona, and nevada. conditions include rocks, sand, and mud. the tires show no nicks or scratches, whereas the stock tires would have been punctured many times over. my confidence in the vehicle making it through serious terrain has increased dramatically. unfortunately i have many desert pin-stripes on the truck now! but that was to be expected.

here's a youtube vid driving up/down long benchmark in carrizo plains during the superbloom this year: https://youtu.be/4MX0LoIU2MI

Just back from a 15,000km trip with the MY16 Range Rover. Lots (1,000km+) on gravel roads north of the Arctic Circle up and down the Dempster Highway to the NWT. It went without a hitch, absolutely flawless not as much a sqeak.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Just back from a 15,000km trip with the MY16 Range Rover. Lots (1,000km+) on gravel roads north of the Arctic Circle up and down the Dempster Highway to the NWT. It went without a hitch, absolutely flawless not as much a sqeak.

View attachment 226994
Well done GW - I guess all my (RRS) km on Saskatchewan and BC backroads are a bit less impressive now... ! Still plan on doing the Dempster some year, but we may do it the turtle method: renting a truck camper, to take as much time as we want. As you found out, not many places to stay up there...

Cheers!

woah can we get a trip report or something?
Well, OK. As I said, it was 15,000km in three weeks, so about 700km every day. I drove from Toronto via Chicago, Minneapolis, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Alaska Highway, Whitehorse, Dawson City, DEMPSTER HIGHWAY past the Arctic Circle into NWT. Back pretty much the same way, but via Skagway, Alaska, and the BC interior rather than the Alaska Highway.

The really challenging part was the 1,000km or so on the Dempster Highway through the western Canadian Arctic. It’s all gravel, some parts worse than others, the northern 200km or so shale which can be a tire killer. Also, the first 200-300km were in rain, which turns the Dempster into a pothole marked mud affair. This is what I was most concerned about.

What can I say? To start with the end, my 2016 Range Rover td6 felt, sounded, smelled, everything really, like new when we arrived back home with 79,000km on the clock (I wanted to do this with the 80,000km factory warranty in place). No rattle, nothing loose. The Range Rover drives so well on the slippery gravel road that it is really amazing. You have to make sure that you don’t go too fast because you cannot feel with the seat of your pants how bad the road is. I left it in auto mode rather than selecting GGS and it seemed to work well.

I have factory new “all season” Goodyears and they stood up well, no flat tires – that surprised me. One day we had 3 inches of snow on the Alaska Highway with cars in the ditch. You just go slow and all is well, no problem with the tires. We were hit by rocks from trucks a number of times but nothing serious developed, i.e. no spider cracks or deep impact craters in the windscreen. The front grill took a few hits but if you don’t look for it you will not see it. No damage to the front lights or the hood. Hardly any dust inside so the filters must work good.

DEF was available everywhere even in the most remote places. I had to use the “emergency misfill funnel” (hidden with the spare tire) a few times. A couple of times in Minnesota and North Dakota, where the nozzle would not open the misfill flap. Also used that once when only the big truck nozzle was available up north.

Fuel consumption was 7.5 L/100km (31 mpg).

So, this is exactly what our Range Rovers are made for (rather the nanny driving the kids to day care). There is no better vehicle around to tackle those distances and challenging road conditions.

Map Ecoregion Atlas Line World
Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Landscape Range rover
Wilderness Vehicle Natural environment River Water resources
Vehicle Trunk Car Transport Auto part
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive tire Sky
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Transport Mountain

I ordered the same quilted protection mat for the back of my truck...Did you install it with the 100+ pieces of velcro that they want you to use? Did the velcro stay stuck to the interior pretty well...I am worried that in the heat it will fall off and leave a sticky mess behind...

View attachment 227865 [/QUOTE]

21 - 40 of 118 Posts