RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ILooking at changing from 18" rims with GG AT2's to 16 " rims for better off road capabilities. Is anyone on the new BFG Muds and can they realistically be used as an everyday tyre with regards to noise, milage etc?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
mileage i dont know, but i have driven a few rigs with them on and they were not overly loud on the road at highway speed.
on a heavier rig (they were jeeps), they would be better IMO.
i had extremely good luck with the toyo mt's. excellent offroad, good wear onroad, and pretty quite. only downside is that they are a pretty heavy tire weight wise.

martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike Morrison said:
ILooking at changing from 18" rims with GG AT2's to 16 " rims for better off road capabilities. Is anyone on the new BFG Muds and can they realistically be used as an everyday tyre with regards to noise, milage etc?
Not sure about the life of the KM2's but a mate has been running the old pattern muds for years on an 80 then 100 series cruiser in the 35" size. He normally got at least 80,000km's out of them with a fiar bit of town and highway running and sometimes with a 2 tonne van in tow. He has the new ones now and noise wise they are pretty much the same as my M/T MTZ's and previous MTR's. Quite acceptable on a modern truck with good sound deadening qualities and most of the time driven with windows up and air con on. Not to say they are bad with window down. Like all they tend to get noisier with age. At this stage they appear to be stacking upas well as the old ones and the competition.

Having moved to mud tyres years ago for all conditions including daily driving he and I (and many Aussies these days) are starting to find they are a good all round tyre that can handle daily duties as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In SA it also seems more folks are changing from all terrains to mud terrains as everyday tyres and as I’m looking at 16” rims this is an option worth considering.
I’m just under 50 000kms on GG AT2’s so if I can get this sort of mileage on muds that would be great.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Interesting timing - Australian 4WD Action Magazine recently rated the BFG MT KM2 as the pick of Mud Terrains in this edition http://www.4wdaction.com.au/current_issue/134/

Previously I've had good experience with Cooper ST tyres on 16" rims. My current P38A has the Bighorns on 16" rims for offroad and Cooper HT Plus on 18" rims for on-road. Can't say I'm impressed with the HT Plus but maybe the high-speed wandering is due to bad castor/camber caused by the 2" lift. Don't seem to notice it as much with the 33" Maxxis.

I'll be very interested to hear what other P38A drivers think of the BFG MT KM2 on their trucks.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
543 Posts
To the P38 in SA.

I'm sure the KM2's from BFG are more than adequate for the type of punishment your beast is likely to tread in South Africa ?

It really comes down to a type of condition under foot you're likely to experience today & tomorrow in the off-highway area.

My '88 Highline Classic is shod with 15" Dick Cepek Fun Country's in 31x10.5R15's for touring duties around Perth, Western Australia & I would rate these in-between an all terrain & mud-terrain tyre and very much an all-round pattern suited to W.A.

As usual you are limited in section height with respect to air bag suspension of a fitment no greater than 31.5" in height and if there's a fair bit or rock crawling or punishing dirt road conditions then I'd rather go the whole hog and get the Baja T/A's.

Martin clarified earlier just check the specific tyre weights, as this could have a significant effect for your everyday use and make sure your 18 inch set of replacement tyres and your 16 inch set are the same rolling diameter, since if you ever have a puncture and need to use your spare, there is every opportunity the transfer case could get damaged a long way from home !

Cheerio,

Vince.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i'm running BFG 235/85/r16 I have no complaints or issues with these tires. I air down to 16-18 pounds when off road and they are amazing off road and when i air up for the road at 40lbs. there is none or very very little road noise. Hope this helps.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts