Range Rovers Forum banner

Anyone paint Interior trim Satin Chrome color to match .....

10K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  HDvideo4K 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried to paint some of the Interior trim parts in a Satin Chrome color to match the shifter knob and interior door handles ?

I will be installing these matching Satin Chrome steering wheel spoke covers to solve the pealing issue most of us have. They are plastic parts that match the other Satin Chrome parts in the interior. So I'm thinking why not paint some of the other pealing Interior trim parts in a Satin Chrome color to match the look ?

Here is a photo of the Satin Chrome steering wheel spoke covers

Ring Fashion accessory Material property Metal Finger

And here is a good Video on different Chrome Paints and how they will look

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
It is important to remember when using any of these high quality spray paints, especially the chrome finishes, that your surface preparation is first class. Remember, the top coat will simply 'flow on the polish' and thus highlight every imperfection.

As a former award winning painter of wooden yachts and commercial model maker, I've just turned my hand to repainting my 05 HSE door pulls and rear console panel with the cigarette lighter located below the console lid.

1) I first sprayed the panels with a caustic soda based paint stripper to soften the original factory coating (wait about 30 seconds) before sanding it off with soapy water and #140 wet & dry paper.

2) I primed them with a thick cream coloured quick dry metal primer which allowed me to begin sanding back the surface in about an hour. (again with #140 wet & dry) For this step, I took the surface virtually right back to the black plastic as the primer had filled every hairline crack and blemish.

3) A second, lighter prime coat and final sand back with soapy water and #400 wet & dry. This final process offers the topcoat a perfectly smooth surface.

4) I used a quick dry epoxy enamel 'Metallic Charcoal' (White Knight 'Squirts' brand in AU) to carefully coat each panel (I use a rotating turntable such as an old record player or a cheap plastic 'Lazy Susan' as used in Chinese restaurants)

5) optional: once the topcoat has hardened, some may wish to spray a final coat of clear finish in either matt or gloss to add further protection to the surface, especially for hard wearing areas.

#4 ·
I still have the rear door pull surrounds to remove and re-paint so I'll see if I can justify the shoot/post/upload time and document the process. I took a bit more time with the rear centre console fascia and I'm very happy with the result so I'll get a shot of that too.

I'm almost tempted to remove and re-paint the door card window switch panels in matt black enamel though it's tempting just to buy the Cherrywood replacements from Powerful UK. However, I think you can over-do the wood paneling. Subtlety is the key. I'm very happy with the original 10 piece 'factory' Walnut to Cherrywood replacement that I performed over Christmas but IMO, some of those videos on Powerful UK's website showing all that 'fake' wood paneled interior make the car look far too 'tizzy'. The centre console lid in Cherrywood could look nice as I have the 'Sand' leather and carpet interior so IMO, Cherrywood compliments the lighter interior colours better than Walnut does.

PS: Wife says I'm trying to turn a luxury car into a luxury yacht and asked if I intend to lay a teak deck over the bonnet! As Jeremy Clarkson would say: 'Brave would be the man..."

#5 ·
OK, the sun came out so here goes:

1) original rear door pulls removed, stripped, washed and prepared with one coat of primer. As you can clearly see, the paint stripper also slightly etches the ABS plastic so it makes for a great 'key' for the primer coat.

(Note: my primer spray can ran out so this first coat is not as thick as I would have wanted)

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Material property Bumper Auto part
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Plastic Hood
Metal
Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive exterior Wood Rim

#6 ·
OK, here are pictures showing the final steps.

The door pull Panels shown after a sand back using warm soapy water and #120 wet & dry sandpaper. On completion, I performed a quick sand with #400 but as my primer ran out early, I'll probably perform a final #400 wet and dry on the final metallic charcoal epoxy enamel when it is hard, then add one more coat to finish.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Metal
Gun Bumper Firearm Automotive exterior

Bumper Automotive exterior
Metal

#7 ·
Finally, some pictures of the interior of my Epsom Green 05 L322 HSE V8 showing the retro-fitted cherry wood dash and door panes as well as a close-up of the re-painted front door pulls and rear centre console.

Vehicle Car Concept car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Range rover
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Range rover Sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Range rover Luxury vehicle

#8 ·
Great job Craig and thanks for sharing your knowledge and process. Great photos also, here is a photo of the Cherry wood Door handle surrounds I installed in case you missed it on my other thread here http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...-back-2006-range-rover-hse-few-questions.html

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Range rover
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part

Overall I don't think its to much wood by adding these, I also like how the Cherry wood accents the Leather and Satin Chrome, but we each have our own taste.

I'm still planing to paint some of the interior trim parts to match the Satin Chrome as if there was any finish I would not mind seeing more of that would be it.

#9 ·
Yes, that does look nice! And at 80 Pounds UK (plus shipping) for the set of four Cherrywood door pulls, it's cheaper than the labor cost to paint them! Good luck with that Satin Chrome spray. Modern single pack epoxy finishes can offer a hard wearing surface but they can take several days to cure and reach full hardness. A clear topcoat might be a good option too.

Frankly I'm amazed, even with today's quick dry spray paints, that you can remove a bunch of items, sand them, prime them and sand again, then apply a finish coat and re-fit the parts all in the same (warm!) day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.