RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m after a favour from anyone who owns a Rovacom or Faultmate and who has a petrol ’02-’05 L322.

I’m using my Faultmate to map out the transmission’s torque converter lock-up clutch characteristics (like you do :D ) and I’m currently looking at the influence of fluid temperature. My problem is that when I start the car from cold (i.e. around 15 deg.C ambient) the transmission fluid temperature is already reading 32 deg.C. When I say ‘cold’ I mean that the car hasn’t been run for at least 2 days.

The measured engine coolant temperature looks fairly accurate as it starts off from around ambient and then rises to a maximum of 115 deg.C at part load (the manual states 110 deg.C) while cycling up and down depending on load – presumably demonstrating the operation of the electrically-controlled thermostat.

The measured transmission fluid temperature reaches 107 deg.C. after about 25 minutes from start but because it’s appears to be reading 17 deg.C. too high when cold I don’t have a great deal of confidence in this.

I measured the resistance across the transmission temperature sensor at the ECU before I started the engine and it gave a reading of 922 Ohms. This corresponds with an fluid temperature of 15 deg. C. according to RAVE – which is spot on. I have three other 5HP24s in my garage at the moment and they all read between 917 and 930 Ohms so, again, all pretty accurate.

I wondered if anyone else who owned a Rovacom/Faultmate, next time they were using it, might be kind enough to see what transmission fluid temperature they were reading when cold, compared to ambient?

Many thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Re: Anyone own a Rovacom/Faultmate & a BMW M62 engined L322?

I'm just going to guess here, but I'll assume Colin (BBS) owns both Rovacom, Faultmate and I know he has a L322 :lol: (might be a TD6 tho...)
If it's not out of commission due to being stripped inside (for the infotainment upgrade), maybe he'd be interested in helping.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I should emphasise that I’m not saying there’s a problem with the Faultmate as I assume it is simply reporting back the value that the ECU tells it. Rather I’m trying to establish if it’s just my ECU that interprets 922 Ohms as being 32 deg.C or if everyone’s does.

Phil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts

When I had a problematic M62 engined L322 at the start of the year which had gearbox cooling issues, the temperatures never made any sense, starting around 25 or 30C

When I've had to do drain and fills on the L319/L320's, TOPIx insists on checking fluid levels with gearbox oil temps below 40 or 30C. It's hard to get the temperature readings to drop below that when monitoring it with IDS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts