RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you do, I'd love to hear what you think of it. What kind of tires are on them? Are they still Continentals on the S/C? How's it on gas? How's the sound? Did you get the Around View Monitor cameras? I'd love to hear anyones' review of their car, whether it's the SC or not. We're waiting for our Bali Blue SC with cams to come in, and are getting really excited. For now, while waiting, I'm going to live through your reviews. I can't believe there haven't been any full tests with numbers in any of our car mags. I've been searching madly! Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes--just picked mine up yesterday. This is my first RRS. It came with Michelin tires. It does not have all the surround cameras. Only had it less than a day, but love it. Came out of a 2008 S5 and didn't want to give up all that power. No hesitation--smooth ride--power at all speeds. Makes it very easy to get over the S5. It is Alaska White with ivory interior (with anigre wood). Will post pictures if you are interested.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just purchased mine in white/tan leather (looks like brown).. 2010 HSE Lux.. My background has been that i've owned the RRS S/C and also the RR S/C and let me tell you, the new 2010 models drive TONS better. Even the 2010 HSE drives better than the outgoing RRS S/C in terms of handling, ride comfort. I considered the 2010 S/C model but honestly for that price i'd just go with the full size RR because they're only off by a few grand. The new HSE base engine is so fast that it doesn't make you want the S/C model unless you're really into speed, or don't have a second sports car around, whereas the old model felt sluggish and prompted many buyers to purchase the S/C model.

·
Registered
83 Posts
kilikay, thanks for the review. that is exacly the info I am looking for b/c I am either going to purchase my 06 s/c or buy a new HSE.
Is the new model more quiet inside the cabin?
do you miss anything from the s/c?
TIA

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
My gf just traded her 2009 HST in for a 2010 RRS S/C in Rimini Red with the Tan interior, and the difference between the two is night and day. The new engine just has so much power (I have a 2007 RR S/C, and this new one is just silly) and sounds good, but I do miss the supercharger whine at WOT. The interior in the 2010 is way better than the 2009 - everything feels much more suited to a $80k vehicle than the old one, and the tech upgrades are nice (surround camera is awesome). It's definitely quieter than the old ones by a big margin. I drove an HSE the other day and didn't find it lacking in the power department either, but I think the new S/C engine has spoiled me. As kilikay says, the new HSE is fast enough. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
93 Posts
honestly for that price i'd just go with the full size RR because they're only off by a few grand
But what does the full-size RR HSE get you for that few grand more? It would be a lot slower than the RRS S/C and not have the dynamic handling stuff. I could understand the luxury argument on the previous models, but the new RRS interior really doesn't seem that far off from the full-size now. Especially when you factor that we don't get that trick twin-view LCD for the RR in the U.S., and it doesn't even have the keyless entry like the RRS and LR4 have... have to push buttons (ick).

·
Registered
210 Posts
jgalvano said:
Yes--just picked mine up yesterday. This is my first RRS. It came with Michelin tires. It does not have all the surround cameras. Only had it less than a day, but love it. Came out of a 2008 S5 and didn't want to give up all that power. No hesitation--smooth ride--power at all speeds. Makes it very easy to get over the S5. It is Alaska White with ivory interior (with anigre wood). Will post pictures if you are interested.
Congrads yes we love to see it..post some pictures :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 2010 Supercharged is definitely silly fast, I test drove one before deciding on the HSE, but went with the HSE b/c IMO the ride quality was a bit smoother, and because I have a sports car for when I really want to get around (an R8).. And honestly, the 2010 Supercharged has so much low end grunt that it would've made my R8 feel a bit slow in the low RPM range for driving around the city! haha..

JeffW - I completely agree that the RRS interior now is just as nice as the RR, if not even more contemporary, but the RR is SO much larger in size than the RRS. The New RRS's interior feels even more "cockpit like" than the old one, whereas the RR is wide and spacious. I've owned both the RR and the RRS and even though in actual numbers it doesn't look far off when you sit in a RR it just feels a lot larger.

·
Registered
93 Posts
And honestly, the 2010 Supercharged has so much low end grunt that it would've made my R8 feel a bit slow in the low RPM range for driving around the city!
Haha, I've been trying to come up with reasons to get an HSE over an S/C, but this one really doesn't help! :lol:

With all else equal, the cost to upgrade to an S/C is less than the sales tax, so it seems like quite a bargain, if it adds significantly to the enjoyment factor. Problem is I can't find one with the right colors and options, and there seems to be a hold on accepting new orders by the factory, so my impatience is steering me towards an HSE.

I drove an HSE again today and I noticed on the freeway that when I punched the gas to pass, it took a disturbingly long time to downshift (in D). Does anyone else notice that? Can anything be done about that? In Sport mode is was plenty responsive, but leaving it there probably kills fuel economy. I haven't been able to test drive one yet, but I imagine the S/C might be more responsive in D, since it shouldn't have to downshift as much to accelerate briskly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
JeffW said:
I drove an HSE again today and I noticed on the freeway that when I punched the gas to pass, it took a disturbingly long time to downshift (in D).
It will be ok once the gearbox adapts to your driving style.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It will be ok once the gearbox adapts to your driving style.
Does that mean that if I'm just cruising on the highway for a long time it will adapt to a lazy driving style, and then when I need it to shift quickly for a passing maneuver it won't be ready, and will have to learn an aggressive style all over again? I'm very skeptical of this adaptive business... it seems to me it just makes it unpredictable.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Unpredictable is right, these adaptive trannies are definitely not as smart as the marketing hype behind them would lead you to believe. They are right most of the times, but not all of the times. If you need power NOW, your best bet is to flip the shifter to Sport mode and punch it. Better yet, put it in Spot mode, manually downshift a gear or two and punch it. If you don't and just mash the pedal, you have a 50-50 chance that the tranny will take its sweet time to figure out what kind of a mood you are in today. :lol:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,476 Posts
Writerguy said:
Help! If you had a choice between the 2010 SC or Mercedes ML63 what would go with?
Hhhmm...decisions decisions. :D :D

What do you plan to do with your car, are you looking to drive on road only or also offroad, so much is about usage that drives the decision.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Leo said:
Writerguy said:
Help! If you had a choice between the 2010 SC or Mercedes ML63 what would go with?
No brainer - the 2010 RRS for sure. ML has no style.
Buy both. Seriously, the world economy needs your help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You guys with the 2010 S/C, do you use the paddle shifters much? Or did you find them more of a novelty that wears off after a while?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got the 2010 RR Sport SC in Nara Bronze with Ivory interior and it is just awesome! I live in MI and needed something for the winter since my Audi S5 (lowered in extra inch and with summer only tires) will probably not do so well in the snow. Anyway, the thing is fast. Still waiting for it to be completely broken in. I got none of the options since I didn't need or want them. I thought of the HSE but I am a power hungry lead footed driver and desire the grunt. It guzzles gas like crazy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also was deciding between the ML63, the GL550, the X5 M, the X6 M and the RR SC. I chose the RR because the ML63 is not as pretty, the GL550 was too big, the X5 M and X6 M were too expensive. Also, the paddle shifter novelty wore off really quickly. It is cool to have there when you want to down shift to a particular gear quickly and take off fast!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts