RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.truckvault.com

Thinking of getting one for my truck in order to securely transport firearms. Not very cheap so I was hoping somebody could provide a little RR-specific feedback. I have been planning to build something like this but I don't think I could reasonably produce anything close. The locking drawers, the little hidden table that slides out from the bottom and the fact that they custom fit the top to the cargo area in order to create a flat, albeit higher, load floor.

I know this may come as a shock to some members but there are those of us that use these trucks as the maker intended. I'm sure I would get 100 replies if this were about which 22" wheels to fit or how to install a laptop where my windshield is. :doh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Buy a Sherman Tank with a tarot gun. Then you wont worry about how to transport your firearms. To each his own my friend. And I don't think Land Rover developed the Range Rover as a mobile armory. :think: seems like you would be sacrificing a lot of cargo area and unless the guns hold sentimental value, You could probably replace the guns 4x for what it would cost to put that bad boy in. Use your cargo cover and no one will be of the wiser unless you have a sign up that says "please don't steal my guns, they are in the back."

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a custom box made for my FJ Cruiser. It was made by Haggerstown Metal Fabricators in Maryland. It cost half of the truck vault, but this was about 3 years ago. Here are a few pics. I do plan on putting it the RR, but I have not test fitted yet.

I am able to fit my gun case in there too, the case carries my o/u and sxs brokendown.

Michael

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Reminds me a bit of the Overfinch Holland & Holland (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/holland- ... h/#2318809). Similar concept, anyway, if a bit different execution.

One thing I wonder about is the spare tire -- since it appears you will not have much access to the spare tire with a gun vault/storage in the back, would you be able to remove the spare and replace the current loadspace floor with a secure, locking floor panel? Of course, that begs the question -- does anyone make one?

Mine came with the 20" wheels, in case you were wondering. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MTB, that's a pretty nice box there. What is the weight on that bad boy?

CMoore05, what kind of guns could I replace 4 times for the cost of this box (about $1800-3000 depending on options)? It is not uncommon for me to have $12,000-$15,000 of my own stuff in the back, maybe more if a friend is along. Guns are very expensive. Hell, the freaking ammo is now something you want to lock up.

rfdiii- Funny that you mentioned the Holland & Holland because that is really what kind of planted the seed for this. I was thinking the same thing about the spare wheel area but the issue there is that it JUST fits the wheel so there is a limited amount of room there. I would really rather have something that could swallow a 40" rifle without breaking it down. The Truck Vault rep says that the seats must get folded and the box slid forward to access the spare. Sounds fine and dandy until you realize that the thing weighs 150 pounds EMPTY. Not too much of an issue since I have a roof rack that mounts a spare for trips to the boonies and should I get a puncture around town (where I do 85% of my driving), I could just call for a ride and retrieve that wheel. The nightmare scenario would be a flat on a long highway journey at night with the box full of guns and luggage everywhere. Every modification is a compromise :think:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Combat Ninja,

I am thinking it is about 50-60# size is 41wx29dx10h here is the link for them http://www.truck-tool-box.com/ They will build it to your specs and they will ship it to you also. I only live 1.5 hour away so I went down and picked mine up. They are made of aluminum and I only paid $650approx. they are nice boxes and had many compliment me on it. I knnow what tou mean when you talk about how much money is sitting back there in guns and gear. During bird hunting season I'll have 5K+ sitting in the back from Oct - Feb. so I don't want some local idiot stealing my stuff.

Good luck on what ever you choose.

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
CombatNinja,

It is 27"d and weighs 75# I am going to test fit it this weekend to see what I'll need to do to secure it back there. I am also thinking the tailgates slight tilt upward may get in the way of the drawer; so I may need to put some feet on the bottom. I'll snap some pics when I have it in there.

Michael

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you mentioned the tailgate getting in the way of the drawer because that is one of my concerns with any of these setups. It would be pretty embarassing to spend $2000 on a fancy storage box and only be able to open it part way. I love the flip down tailgate for so many reasons but it might just do me in here. :crybaby2:

BTW, from your pics it looks like you might have a major issue with the downward tilt of that drawer. Please post your findings if you test fit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI, this is pretty much the idea:

[[url]http://web.ecomplanet.com/SISC5646/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/SISC5646CustomImage425248/img][/url]

This picture is of a P38 methinks. It does look like the lower portion of the tailgate is getting in the way of the drawers to me :think:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
CombatNinja said:
FYI, this is pretty much the idea:

This picture is of a P38 methinks. It does look like the lower portion of the tailgate is getting in the way of the drawers to me :think:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the linky. That catalog has no prices though :think:

I found a euro version of that catalog online that list the price as $369 euros. Does not necessarily mean that all you need to do is convert to USD. Anyone know how much this thing costs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I test fitted my box today; as expected I could not open the drawer the whole way due to the slight tilt upward of the tailgate. Since I need to fit my dogs kennel on top, I can't lift it as one could. I did come up with the max. I could go is 1.5 inches and the drawer will open all the way. The box is 41" wide and it just fit between the wheel wells. I also placed it in front of the rear tie downs behind the seats ( I'll be using them to anchor it down) I had more room in front of the box and if I would have had it made for the Rangie, I would make it deeper. Other than that, I will be able to use it :dance: without having to get another one made. Here are a few pics.

This is without lifting it

here is with a 2x4 lifting it

Lifted and wth the drawer open. It touches when fully extended.

Last is another angle.

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
On the gun/security box, prices were quoted to me as follows:

Box: $655.56
Installation kit: $253.31

1 - 15 of 15 Posts