RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow P38 owners

I got a small issue with my P38 (1996 2,5 DSE aut.).
I'm currently deployed to Iraq with the Danish Army and my girlfriend is driving my P38, as her Hyundai has a broken gearbox.
Recently the LH front doorlock/switch started acting up. When she closes the door, the display will show the message "LH-F door open" followed by A LOT of beeping. I have already ordered a new doorlock, as I know the microswitches are bad, but are there ANY WAY I can guide her to disable the switch so the bl... beeping will go away and the BECM will not be kept alive?
I was thinking of disconnecting the single wire to the doorlock/switch, but I'm not sure that is the answer.

I anybody can guide me in the right direction, I would be greatful.
I will off course change the doorlosk when I'm back at home.

Best Regards

Jakob

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,199 Posts
The only way to do it on the front doors is to remove the door card, and would be to cut the wire going to the door latch which tells it that the door is open/closed.

It would be better to do this in the part of the loom that goes into the door latch, so you don't then have to repair the vehicle loom when you get back aswell.

The wire in the latch part of the loom for the door ajar switch is the blue wire. Cutting this wire will make the BECM think the door is permanently closed.

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marty

Thanks a million. That helps ALOT. I'll tell my girlfriend to disable the BLUE wire. That shouldn't be so difficult for her (I hope 8~).

/Jakob

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Well, if I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, the door ajar switch (3 on diagram) is effectively open circuit when the door is closed, assuming that the diagram shows the door closed position!
LH latch.JPG
So... disconnecting/ cutting the PW (Purple/ white stripe) wire between the latch and the outstation would do it.
Of course, if your girlfriend can pull the door card to get to the workings and find the correct wire to snip, then she's probably capable of fitting the new latch assembly!
EDIT- Marty's post crossed with mine and he's the door latch guru, so if he says the wire is blue- it definitely is!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a million for your advice, Guys. GF managed to get the door card of and has now cut the blue wire and halleluja - it works :clap:
This Forum is absolutely priceless

Have a nice evening

/Jakob

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,199 Posts
Glad to hear it's sorted for the moment.. hope that you get the latch swapped ok when you get home!

Marty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yearhh She's definitely not without skills :)
I already ordered a brand new door latch and will swap it as soon as I'm home.

Best Regards

Jakob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts