RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi!

does any one know how to Diagnos a supercharger on a 2006 Supercharge with 200,000 km? The vehicle was purchased with about 3 liters of coolant in the chocolate milk looking oil and compression roughly 15lbs per cylinder. The battery was gone so there are no codes stored to be read. I have changed the oil, tested the compression a few times (with the throttle open as well) and still roughly 15 lbs.

I have no history of what happened during the breakdown. The dealer told me that the head gaskets rarely go and because of the jaguar engine design with two timing chains it is not likely crushed valves as they would not all be bad.

So, I am wondering if a bad Supercharger could leak coolant into the oil and prevent the air draw to give a descent compression reading? Is there a way to verify that the problem is or is not the supercharger?

Any other suggestions to what the problem could be are also welcome. ;-)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The two intercoolers on either side of the supercharger have water in them but the supercharger itself doesn't. Water leaking out of the intercoolers would go straight into the intake ports of the engine as they are on the output side of the SC. A supercharger that does not spin when the engine is cranked over and/or running would certainly be an impediment to airflow into the engine. I'm sure the engine would stop running if it was when the supercharger failed. Don't think there is any reliability issues with the SC itself. It does have its own drive belt driven off the water pump (I think) so if that is off, or the tensioner for that individual belt is fubar, maybe the SC isn't spinning, or spinning at the proper speed.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Only SC issues I have heard of is standard wear. The oil in the SC needs to changed and folks have their nose cone bearings replaced around 100K miles.

If you only have 15PSI across all cylinders on a compression test and had coolant in your oil you have far larger engine issues than the SC unit.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The only way to check for a blockage in the supercharger itself is to remove the plastic resonator piping, the air intake duct on top of the engine and the supercharger outlet duct that connects the supercharger to the intercoolers. Not a whole lot of work but you would need new outlet duct gaskets to put it back together properly. Then you could recheck the compression again, you would just be sucking air directly into the engine thru the intercoolers. If the compression values improve you have something in the supercharger or inlet ducting or the SC is Fubar and is blocking airflow, if not I guess the engine has to be pulled apart further. At least the valve covers should come off to see whats up under there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I will likely give that a shot. I just don't want to add to the problem. This might be one of those times where money is well spent with the pros. Probably the cost of the gaskets will be more than what I'll save with my own exploration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts