1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the UK have a DEAD window switchpack I can have? Will pay postage

As the title says...

I've found a few interesting things out about these and wanting to see if I can repair one. All the ones I see on eBay are all listed as tested and working - because who would want to sell a dead one, right?

I'm happy to pay UK postage to get it to me - PM me if you happen to have one lying around that you've replaced and never got around to throwing out!

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Re: Anyone in the UK have a DEAD window switchpack I can have? Will pay postage

Sorry Marty, I threw one out a few weeks ago! and I'm in Swindon at least once a week!

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts

My two dead ones went to rubbish Friday. :-(

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
485 Posts

Marty, what are these 'interesting things'? The reason I ask is that my front passenger door window sometimes doesn't always open on first press of the button. Once it does operate then it continues to behave impeccably for however many presses of the switch until the ignition is switched off. The next time is, again, a bit of a lottery as to whether it will work first time or not. I can find no problem with the switch contacts, wiring, door outstation or window motor so suspect something 'fishy' going on in the clever bits in the switch pack!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No worries Cornishman/RRTH - I'll get my hands on one at some point!!

Garvin - I was just reading through bits on the BECM and how it connects via it's own serial links to/from the outstations: doors, seats, window switchpack. Which got me thinking.. There's only one main chip in the window switchpack. Which on looking at a spare door outstation, and seat outstation I have here - that same model chip is in both of these modules too.

I was hoping to transplant one of these chips from one of my working spare outstations, to then put it in the dead window switchpack, and see if it then worked again. I haven't been able to find a lot of information on the chip itself, so I don't know if it would work - as I am unsure if the chip has any kind of ROM/EPROM in it which is programmed - or whether it is just a multi-purpose analogue-digital conversion chip which takes button presses and then turns them into a serial command string to send to the BECM.

But being as I don't know if this is the component that fails, or whether it's some of the outboard components (resistors etc which are all SMD) I don't know if this would fix a completely dud one - but figured it was worth a shot.

Your issue sounds strange... it sounds like it could be a chip issue, though the fact it's on one window only, could be one of the outboard components that take the switch press and put it as an input to the main chip is intermittent..

Marty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts