RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just picked up a new Longhorne KEW 4000 winch for small enough money (£110 ($160)with some other crap thrown in as part of the haggle ) at a car boot sale. just want to know if anyone has any experience with this type of winch.
Its made in China - i know, not a good start, pay peanuts get monkeys, but its got a 1.5hp motor, 450:1 gear reduction, cable remote with 4000lb (~1800kg) rated rolling pull 2000lb static.

I suppose the question is, is it worth cutting up the front of my P38 to fit it?

I don't do hard core off roading so I don't need something that will winch me up a cliff face but I make enough mistakes/am adventurous enough at work that I carry a 1.5T chain block to self recover from the type of things that get me stuck (mainly falling off the edge of forest tracks) So it would be well worth my while fitting a winch, just not sure if this is the right one! I'll find plenty other uses for it but it is tidy enough to fit real snugly.

I've the fabrication for the mount nearly finished and plan to fit it in the middle of the bumper behind the number plate so as not to interfere with the approach angle at all, all of which I need judging by the state of my bumper :lol: I will only need to cut a small part out of the bumper so this will be a very neat installation when I'm done. I'll post a photo when the fab work is complete just before I start cutting.
I suppose I just want someone to say if it is a totally crap winch before I cut the bumper.

Anyone with any info?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
A 4k winch is nowhere near enough for the Range Rover I'm afraid.
A bare bones minimum would be 6k, and that is assuming no mud, no uphill, and so on. A MUCH better option would be a 8000lb minimum. 9 would be ideal though IMHO.
All that 4k will do is flatten your battery and leave you worse off.

Sorry top be the bearer of bad news, but better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I wouldn't put a 4000 lb winch on a samurai, which weighs just over 2k lbs...much less a P38 weighing in around 5k.

IMO, it's not worth cutting up your rig for.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

To be honest, I kinda expected that to be the case.

I just checked and the factory winch is an XD9000i which is in the 9000lb class so you're bang on.

I've more or less finished the fab work now so I'll offer it up tomorrow night and see just how much cutting would be required. If its as little as I think I might just go and fit it.

As I said earlier I've been using a 1.5 tonne chain block to get me out so far and even an inferior winch is far safer than my current set up which rates high enough on the dodgy scale to verge on lunacy. You see, I'm mostly on my own when i get stuck so i set up the chain block and climbing ropes, get a bit of tension in the setup and then pop the Range into 1st low. I then have one of those reversible quick clamps that I'm able to dial in about 1000revs by jacking between the seat base and the throttle pedal :shock: I then get out and work the hand winch as the wheels spin away 8-0= As soon as it starts to grip I then have to jump out of the way and try and knock into neutral through the window to stop it rolling over the whole setup :doh: Its a marginal enough operation :roll:

So any winch with a remote represents a great leap in safety if not capability :dance:

I'll fit a good shackle point so that I can use a snatch block and double back the rope to get it upto 8000lbs capacity. It will be slow but feck it, it was cheap so what more could I expect!

·
Registered
453 Posts
You've got to record that one day :shock:

Saying that i think you have enough to do without having to sort the video cam out at the same time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a couple of pics from one time I actually had a bit of help. We got it out handy enough and I've repeated the trick a few times on my own but as you can imagine I'd prefer to be doing the winching from the drivers seat than 4 foot from the front bumper.

I just don't have the money for a quality winch. This one is obviously not the right capability but its the same power as the chain block and I swear, I'll have it in with only the fairline visible beneath the number plate. It'll be very tidy and like I said won't encroach at all on the approach angle which will be a good trick when you look at the factory set ups. I saw a pic there lately of a factory tricked out RR Sport with a big lump of a winch mounted under the front bumper. This thing had the approach angle and ground clearance of an Audi A6. it was a hell of a winch but it was going to need it a hell of a lot ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
If you're driving in that muck frequently enough to merit a winch, maybe you should get some mud tires first. You'd be amazed what you can get through with a decent set of tires.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Mag, what is wrong with you lately?
I dont think I have seen you slam anyone in faaarrrr too long mate. Feeling OK?? :lol:

Martin

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
4k winch will work IF you use a snatch block, every time, effectively doubles the rating, but 1/2 the speed, and yes, mud tires (tyres?)

superwinch do a good, inexpensive winch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was on Pirelli STR's all round that day. I'll be shot of them shortly. I picked up 2 S/T's back a bit which are much better than the STR's. Looking at Yokohama geolanders next as S/T's are impossible to get.

But to be honest though the ground in that area is shaly mudstone and goes like a bar of soap when wet. It turns to utter crap under the wheels, we were sliding around ourselves let alone the Rangie but its still very compact so I don't know would even mud tyres penetrate to get a grip. But anything would have been better than the STR's.

And again to be fair, each time I've gotten stuck it has been purely down to driver error. Even on poorish tyres the RR is an amazingly competent machine.

So the **** winch is for the **** driver :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Eh, I suppose I see your point about the winch being an upgrade over your current...ahem...procedure if you will. It may be enough to help you get moving if you are not totally stuffed. But I have a feeling you'll burn it out in short order and just end up having to take it all apart again and fitting a properly sized winch. This may be a opportunity to avoid the "we do it nice cuz we do it twice" mantra.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
The big plus of mud tires, is the will shed the mud easier, so they can bite each revolution, why the big mudders fling so much

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, finished off fabrication last night so I offered it up when I got home from work this evening.

As you can see I'm only caught for about 1 and 1/2 inches to get the bumper back on. Its so little I think I'll just go ahead and do it.
I'm going to mount the solenoids in front of the washer bottle with a small hole for the plug. I haven't quite worked out how I'll do the free wheel lever but I have a few options in mind.

As you can see I made up the mount from bits of scrap metal I had lying about so Its cost me nothing. The bumper is already cracked in a lot of places from various bumps and thumps so someone more car proud than me would be replacing it any way. I'm more of a 'slap a weld or a bit of fibre glass on it' man myself as I know I'll go right out and do the exact same next time. Nature of the beast and all that. The bracket can easily be adjusted to accomodate a better winch when this one packs up.

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
If you leave the stock crush-cans on there, any side loads on the fairlead will push the bumper over pretty easily...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shupack said:
If you leave the stock crush-cans on there, any side loads on the fairlead will push the bumper over pretty easily...
But I'm mounted on to the chassis rails using the crush can bolts. The fairline will be still be mounted to the winch so the crush cans are only carrying the the bumper. There should be no load transfered to the bumper or am i missing something?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Holy small mounting pattern batman!
Normal winches are 10" x 4.5" bolt pattern for a reason.
I stick to my original statement of that thing doing more damage than good.....

Martin

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
leftlanetruckin said:
Holy small mounting pattern batman!
Normal winches are 10" x 4.5" bolt pattern for a reason.
I stick to my original statement of that thing doing more damage than good.....

Martin
Yeah, I thought pretty much the same myself Martin. I assume the winch is just too crap to pull itself through the supplied mounting plate. :oops:

The mounting plate is bolted to the winch body at the 4 corners with 8mm bolts so I'll most likely bin the OE base plate and bolt it straight to the 8mm thick steel mount.

Here is a couple of pics of the dry fit I did last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Get Mud tyres!!! I bought a set of Disco 2 wheels off ebay for £40 and fitted new insa Sahara M/T's. I cannot describe the difference that makes off road compared to the General A/T's fitted for normal day to day use.

Gordon

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well,

I finished the winch mount today. :D

Well pleased with how it came out. I've a tiny bit of trimming to do to the bumper around the fairlead to make taking the bumper on and off straightforward but once thats done all the fab work is finished. I didn't fit something to allow the winch to freewheel yet but I have a plan in my head once I can lay my hands on the right kind of pull cable (like an old diesel engine stopper) so it should easy enough once I have something suitable. I haven't done the permanent battery hook up either as I want to put an isolator on it to make sure the winch can't add any further mysterious battery drain issues. Down the line if it burns out or I get the money for something better I'll add a tie back to the frong cross member, I've got it drilled already so I'll just be able to bolt something straight on.

But its good to go in case of emergency so I'm happy enough :dance:
No more hand winching :lol:

Cormac

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts