RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Mityvac Fluid Evacuator on sale for $100...it says it can extract from oil dip stuck (amongst other fluids)...this would save lots of time and if not having to buy the drain plug @ $10 each, it would pay for itself in 10 oil changes.

Good way to get 95% of the oil out? Could I damage something this way? Anyone with experiences?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is the way Mercedes and other companies get the oil out during service at the dealership. They say its supposed to be better, but maybe they are just trying to get people to go to the dealership. I don't see how it could hurt, and then you only have to take out the oil filter with a chance of spilling oil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know on the newer cars, they were designed to be done that way...just wasn't sure if it was safely doable on cars not designed for this. Isn't the MY10 RRS like this?

The oil filter is much easier to access than the drain plug :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
2010s don't have a dipstick... But vacuum extraction through the oil cap is one of the two recommended methods of oil change indicated in the LR shop manual (the old drain method is still there, although there are rumors that the drain plug from these 5-liter engines may be in danger of extinction.)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
xLusi0n said:
The oil filter is much easier to access than the drain plug :)
Don't you need to get under there to remove the shield anyway? Although I guess if your arms were snakey enough you could extract the oil filter without pulling the shield but I think it would make quite a mess.

I'm so over doing my own oil changes; the mess, disposing of the oil :doh:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Normally there is a tray in the oil pan which keeps the oil from sloshing side to side during cornering and other maneuvers. If you go down through the dip stick tube, there is a very good chance of not picking up oil from the bottom of the pan but from the anti splash tray.
The plug is usually put at the lowest point in the oil pan when parked level. The sludge generated by combustion products blowing by the rings (each ring has a small gap and is not a perfect seal) and the bearing wear will flow out with the oil. Since you can not see where the end of the pump tube is, you will have no real idea of how much of the old oil and sludge you actually picked up. The carbon in the sludge along with the metal particles are pretty good abrasives and a cause of cylinder, oil pump and valve guide wear.
Seems it is well worth the extra time to drain all the oil each time using the plug.
I have no idea how you can vacuum the oil out of the filler. Normally these are on top of the cam/valve cover and drain down into the sump through oil return galleries. Applying a vacuum to the filler would only pull vapor from the PVC valve and any other vent, unless there is a direct tube to the bottom of the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
bop08 said:
Since you can not see where the end of the pump tube is, you will have no real idea of how much of the old oil and sludge you actually picked up.
Seems it is well worth the extra time to drain all the oil each time using the plug.
Agreed, but if someone is going to use the extractor, maybe they can bite the bullet and spend an extra 20 minutes and do both to let us all know! :thumb:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
MY2010 oil vacuum draining and filling instructions (procedure is the same for both N/A and S/C engines.) I am thinking a special fitting / vacuum pump adapter may be required to do this. Regardless, the electronic sensor reset procedure at the end looks more involving and complicated than the oil change itself. :?[attachment=0:3vsvnkki]oilchange-vacuum.pdf[/attachment:3vsvnkki]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
Regardless, the electronic sensor reset procedure at the end looks more involving and complicated than the oil change itself.
:shock:

I really cherish my dipstick.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Caution: Rant below.

There is only one reason to make this procedure more difficult on the '10.

I don't believe any of the mfgr's b/s that this reduces emissions, or whatever the reason du jour is. The mfgrs and dealers are fighting the aftermarket for the high margin parts business and owners are caught in the crosshairs. So the dealer/mfgr forces the customer to the dealer for an oil change, thus giving them another chance to upsell you on a brake job, tires, and their nitrogen filling b/s, or whatever. Its the same b/s when you walk into a shoe store and you have been wearing an 11.5 for the last 20 years and they want to measure your foot. They only do that because some human behaviorist the shoe industry hired did a survey which showed a 30% greater attach rate on the potential customer who got his feet measured.

Rant over. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man I wish the oil filter for MY08 was up on top!

I wonder if that adapter could be used on a MY08?

Either way, I'll try to do it next time through the oil dip stick tube. I'll let you guys know how it turns out...

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
xLusi0n said:
Either way, I'll try to do it next time through the oil dip stick tube.
and open the drain bolt after to let us know what comes out? That would be awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts