RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shut the range off today and rather than the steering wheel auto retracting back for easy exit it decides to pivots down towards my legs and out... I had to use the manual controls to move it back to where it needed to be, good thing those controls still worked, steering column was trying to chop my legs off!

Later I go for a drive, but this time when I start the range it immediately tried to crush my knees, manual control overrides the issue once again. My trip complete I powered the range down, the wheel retracts normal, but this time when it reaches its final position a motor continues to run until you hit the manual control, then the motor stops. No grinding noises, just a motor humming. Now it's all quiet, I get out, close the door, walking to my house I hear a faint noise coming from the range, go back, open the door, and the steering decided it needed to run a motor a bit longer. Strange because the motor is running but there is no grinding noise or anything, and manual control continues to function proper. I just pulled the battery, maybe that'll clear the foul up? It's also a snow/rain mix here today, incredibly wet and nasty out, perhaps that has something to do with this... Last time we got lots of moisture in the air the alarm would go on and off when armed.

Anyone else have or had a possessed steering column?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't have a solution but this did give me a laugh. Have you tried resetting the memory setting on the seat? In a similar way sometimes when I start up my mirrors decide to adjust themselves so that in the left I can only see sky and in the right the tarmac. I reset the seat memory and it seemed to fix it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have noticed that my steering wheel do not move any more with the manual stick, when i unlock the car to get in it just like clicks for a few seconds?? :? .
but i will try resetting the memory seat to see if that works.
cheers for the input
ian

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
Can this be disabled?
It is nonsense in such a big interior.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umitbat said:
Can this be disabled?
It repaired itself overnight, had to have been moisture. You can disable it by pulling one of the wires on the driver seat control switch from the back side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wait fellas...

This was subject to a recall - or, wait - as Land Rover put it "a service action". In fact, my truck had this same issue repaired in 2007. However, a couple of years later, 2 in fact, the **** steering wheel started doing the same thing... dropping down upon activation of the key into the ignition. It would become completely unresponsive until, it seemed, it 'wanted to'.
This I found to be completely unsafe & ridiculous. Imagine if you are driving down the road w/the steering wheel down as far as it will go & -boom- you get into an accident? The air bag goes off! This would be a very very bad thing as an improperly placed air bag detonation would/could lead to extremely serious injuries that would have otherwise been prevented. It is astounding to me that Land Rover has not been much more proactive to the owner's of the vehicles!

You have something that you should probably get replaced. This was covered under our extended warranty. According to the receipt; they replaced the horizontal + vertical mechanics in the steering column w/a cost to the warranty company of $790.00. Now according to my service rep this would be a cost to the consumer of ~$1,300.00 USD for the same thing (warrnaty companies have a different pay scale of course).

For a cross ref look at this link from the main site: http://www.rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremed ... eringstuck

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
brad s1 said:
umitbat said:
Can this be disabled?
It repaired itself overnight, had to have been moisture. You can disable it by pulling one of the wires on the driver seat control switch from the back side.
Any idea ;which one?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
umitbat said:
brad s1 said:
umitbat said:
Can this be disabled?
Any idea ;which one?
IDK... If you pull it the steering wheel will no longer move unless you do it manually. I'd just pull one at a time until the steering wheel doesn't move when you insert the key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts