RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone please post or link the squeaks and rattles TSB? got a musical cabin going. my rave cd does not appear to have it included. i've tightened down everything superficially visible but still have a couple rattles and hums going i'd like to silence. obviosuly it's not a life or death situation. thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I too have a very squeaky cabin which is about the only thing wrong with my beauty, so would also be grateful to hear from anyone. Nothing much too worry about on smooth highways - but on even the slightest undulations the squeaks appear - especially around the bottom/middle of the pillar trims. I have used endless amounts of silicone spray.

Cheers

Andy

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Guys, there's many threads about those and i'm interested.

I recently find a new one : whine at 120 km/h comes from the H plate of the gear lever.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
SpiggyTopes said:
Me too - phantom rattle in the back cabin area - door locks?
Few things I can think of..

Plastic trim around the top of the lower tail gate.
Plastic trim around the upper tailgate including middle brake light surround (don't tighen too much otherwise you will go straight through the plastic (ask me how I know).
Plastic trim on both sides of rear cargo area.
Loose or broken trim clips that hold on the interior rear door trims.
Rear seat belt anchor points (where the belt fastens into).

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
andyaa said:
I too have a very squeaky cabin which is about the only thing wrong with my beauty, so would also be grateful to hear from anyone. Nothing much too worry about on smooth highways - but on even the slightest undulations the squeaks appear - especially around the bottom/middle of the pillar trims. I have used endless amounts of silicone spray.

Cheers

Andy
Andy,

I've just finish to refurbish my pillars with alcantara cloth and because i broke some clips i glued them back using a new tips from a friend who makes custom RVs : silicon glue. Works very well. No more squeaky plastic noise when i test them by smashing those a little bit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My completly rebuilt rover has no squeals except for the plastic housing around the steering wheel.

I got to tell ya for an expensive truck there is a lot of plastic in this thing.
They really could have done a better job in the design.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Mark_CT said:
My completly rebuilt rover has no squeals except for the plastic housing around the steering wheel.

I got to tell ya for an expensive truck there is a lot of plastic in this thing.
Do you have any details of the rebuilt? acoustic

Everything i dismantle on this truck, i add noise reduction foam M1 fire class.

Works well with doors and rear wings and subwoofer area.

·
Registered
219 Posts
996TURBO said:
Mark_CT said:

Do you have any details of the rebuilt? acoustic

Everything i dismantle on this truck, i add noise reduction foam M1 fire class.

Works well with doors and rear wings and subwoofer area.
The truck currently has 153,000 miles on it, runs like new everything works, no rattling at all. Rebuilt with the following:

• New 4.6 motor with less than 15k miles on it
• New Stainless exhaust cat-back system
• New interior headliner
• New Front wind shield (old one had pits)
• Heater "O" rings just replaced
• HAVC Computer new
• Radio just rebuilt by RoverVille added iPOD/iPhone aux connection
• Parrot Blue Tooth hands free system integrated with audio system
• CB radio (cobra) with installed/removable antenna
• Air conditioning system completely rebuilt compressor, radiator, etc...
• Suspension all replaced with new air bags shocks
• New Brakes, Rotors and Tires
• All U-joints replaced

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mark i can't wait to do all the things you did to yours. i'm not going to have any luck pushing for that with the wife until the existing components wear more or fail but i'm saving your list for the future. most of mine is still going strong at 91k. honestly the only cabin noise i'd really like to correct is what sounds like a high pitched buzzing coming from the gearshift area that seems to increase in volume as i accelerate. sounds like something small vibrating. only get it sometimes but it sound like something needs to be tightened as it increases with the rpms. just an occasional annoyance. the other thing is my belts are a little loud making that industrial whiney groan under the hood. belts are in good shape. think maybe the pulleys could be wearing or are tightened down a little tightly. anyone got anything on quieting the belt or a center console vibration? a screw under the trim perhaps?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
honestly the only cabin noise i'd really like to correct is what sounds like a high pitched buzzing coming from the gearshift area that seems to increase in volume as i accelerate. sounds like something small vibrating. only get it sometimes but it sound like something needs to be tightened as it increases with the rpms. just an occasional annoyance.
Found a temporary solution to the same buzzing that you described very well. A put a small pile of paper between the H plate and the moving part right under. Doesn't last very long but it's allright for my long journeys on the highway.

BTW, found a definitive solution to all those cabin noises : i got my SD roofrack :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've gotten rid of most of the rattles in mine. Spent a weekend pulling everything I could reach off and refitting it with foam seals. Went through a can of WD40 as well :roll: :roll:

One thing i couldn't get rid of though, is a noise behind the dash. Right above the radio there is a little circular vent in the wood, and it sounds like there is a fan behind there, whirring away. I figured it has something to do with the climate control, but I don't want to risk squirting WD40 there, as I don't know what is behind it. I may have to take the dash apart, as its driving me nuts...

·
Registered
640 Posts
The "Squeak and Rattle" TSB consists of 5 pages mostly diagnostic methods to locate the cause, and actualy refers you to Specific TSB's for Rectification of the Problem.

The TSB No. IS NRR/07/02/96/EN if that helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks col. it's nothing i can't live with and it's intermittent. sort of a buzzing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
thanks col. it's nothing i can't live with and it's intermittent. sort of a buzzing.

If you have changed out your pollen filters a leaf could have fallen into the vent and is now acting like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel with a close pin......

I had this happen and it went away after a while.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've got a very annoying squeak/rattle noise from the glovebox, it seams to be the glovebox door rattling when going over uneven ground, everything looks tight but it doesn't half get on my nerves. :evil:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
even if it's not the pollen filter cavity, i'm sure some crud has fallen down there over the years. especially in light of my woeful plenum filter status. think it's safe to gently use the long thin vacuum attachment in that cavity after removing the filters to suck up the little bits of leaves and plenum filter? then i've got to get around to making a new plenum filter that won't tap out as quickly. sort of like the metal screen idea other mentioned on this board.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
even if it's not the pollen filter cavity, i'm sure some crud has fallen down there over the years. especially in light of my woeful plenum filter status. think it's safe to gently use the long thin vacuum attachment in that cavity after removing the filters to suck up the little bits of leaves and plenum filter? then i've got to get around to making a new plenum filter that won't tap out as quickly. sort of like the metal screen idea other mentioned on this board.
I used a plastic mesh for ponds. It was green, now it's painted black. Works much better than the OEM foam

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
was it a pain to put it in being that it wasn't foam or did it go pretty much as laid out on the main page procedure? do you happen to have a pic of yours you could indulge me with? did you just get teh dimensions of the stock filter and cut to that size? i'm sorta tempted to go with black metal screen but definitely have access to the material you used.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts