Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

had a height sensor replacement fitted and garage is having an issue setting the new height calibration due to the 22inch wheels i have fitted, its look like its in off road mode even though its not.

i told them its need to be from hub centre

Nominal height from hub centre to wheel arch (not liner):
Front 493 ± 2 mm (19.4 in ± 0.08 in), Rear 483 ± 2 mm (19.0 in ± 0.08 in).

so 495mm front and 485mm rear.

but they want to measure from the the bottom wheel to top which on 22inch wheels don't give the correct readings and making it look like offroad mode !

can someone measure with there car in normal ride height from bottom the alloy wheel to wheel arch ? and give me the reading front and rear pretty please

need the height from 18 or 19 inch wheel if possible from year 2002-2005 not sure if they change height after that.

thanks in advance

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Two things spring to mind right off. First, you measure from wheel centre to fender lip to eliminate any differences in wheels or tyres. In order for their method to work they would need measurements from someone with an identical wheel set up. Second, wheel size has absolutely nothing to do with calibration. There is no need to CHANGE calibration when you change wheels. At an extreme the only reason you would change calibration is if you are drastically change rolling circumference for off road tyres and want more ground clearance. With said they would have needed to adjust th calibration on the corner they replaced the sensor on, no other changes would have been necessary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two things spring to mind right off. First, you measure from wheel centre to fender lip to eliminate any differences in wheels or tyres. In order for their method to work they would need measurements from someone with an identical wheel set up. Second, wheel size has absolutely nothing to do with calibration. There is no need to CHANGE calibration when you change wheels. At an extreme the only reason you would change calibration is if you are drastically change rolling circumference for off road tyres and want more ground clearance. With said they would have needed to adjust th calibration on the corner they replaced the sensor on, no other changes would have been necessary.
i had a faulty height sensor on left front, giving error code. which they replace and reset to re calibrate. why were measuring the above on my wheels which make the car sit really high.

i understand this, but they seem to have reset the whole lot and not sure what they were before so they entered 825mm front and 815mm rear.

on there computer they have to set wheel size, and they only can set to 18 or 19inch on there system and it asks from the above measurement.

from me doing some calculations they need to set it to 725mm front and 715mm rear.

just wanted someone to measure the distance to see if i was correct. its going back in on Tuesday to be resolved.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
I sure hope they are giving you the labour free of charge. The first step in any calibration is to make note or screen shot the existing settings. Seriously, knowing the entire rig is too high how difficult is it to lower the entire rig to match your taste? The folks in your shop are none too bright. :snooty:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sure hope they are giving you the labour free of charge. The first step in any calibration is to make note or screen shot the existing settings. Seriously, knowing the entire rig is too high how difficult is it to lower the entire rig to match your taste? The folks in your shop are none too bright. :snooty:
there not charging anymore for labour, as there mistake.

just want to find a few people that can give me there heights so i can tell them to set to that and see what it looks like after.

but as there system can only use 18-19inch measurements. want to see other people instead them trying to sort rather give them some number so we can work it from there as a guide.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't worry everyone found what i needed!

my car is set to 815mm front and 780mm rear.. this was based on a 18inch wheel.

Should be more like 740 front ! so thats 75mm higher then should at front.. its basicly set to offroad mode in normal height..

anyways hopfully get sorted next tuesday :)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
With a 22 inch wheel the rim will simply be one and a half inches lower than a 19 inch wheel. All they need to do is measure from rim to wheel arch and subtract one and a half inch from that measurement.

They are probably subtracting three inches instead of one and a half, resulting in the vehicle being adjusted one and a half inches too high. The mistake is probably that they are considering the difference in diameter rather than the difference in radius.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With a 22 inch wheel the rim will simply be one and a half inches lower than a 19 inch wheel. All they need to do is measure from rim to wheel arch and subtract one and a half inch from that measurement.

They are probably subtracting three inches instead of one and a half, resulting in the vehicle being adjusted one and a half inches too high. The mistake is probably that they are considering the difference in diameter rather than the difference in radius.
Lister6520.... I think you have got it spot on. I will make sure they have the above measurement and tell them what you just said aswell..

The Range in off-road height looks extremely silly on 22"s !

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Basic math can be a struggle for some folks :p

I am not sure exactly what has occurred here but there calibration should be the same no matter what wheels/tires you have unless you end up with a combination that causes rubbing in the wheel wells and you need more clearance. Just measure from the center of the hub. I don't know what calibration tool they are using, but I'm pretty sure they all have a way to "restore defaults". And if not, then the standard measurements are probably documented in RAVE.... unclear if there are new height sensors in the mix... if there are then perhaps you do actually need to measure, but if you do, just measure to the center of the hub, that is the easiest and least error prone.

EDIT: oh, i see there is a screenshot there of the heights probably from RAVE... that should be all you'd need I think. Just measure to the center. I did mine on my '04 once ... measured a string and made a plumb line of the exact correct size so there would be no doubt and then dangled from the wheel well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed so, from what I saw on there system.. It's says to measure from bottom wheel rim to arch. When they click calibration But as they were not able to select 22" so they just selected 19" and did measurement into the computer.. They did not take into consideration the larger wheel giving a incorrect reading. Which why the car is sitting so heigh !

So what they actually needed to do is measure the same and then take away 1.5inchs or 38mm.. So if the reading was 820mm should actually be 782mm as need to take away the 1.5inchs or 38mm due to larger rims.. Seems quite simple but hey.. I am going to be there for when they do it fully this time.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,579 Posts
Just measured my 06 HSE with 19" wheels standard height, it measured 29.625 inches from bottom wheel rim to arch, 752.475mm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can measure mine on 20s , but I'm running oversized tires so probobly not much use !!! :D

Off on a tangent , but should the car feel more comfortable at speed when it lowers automatically to "highway speed" ?
If so , could I get a little more comfort having the car lowered that 20mm permanently ?
Apparently my car lowered at 100mph and I'll never do that ...

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
If your car is a 03-05 they need to measure from the bottom of the wheel if it is a 06-up the need to measure from the center of the wheel if they are using a Autologic. Scan tool and if it is a 06-up they should be able to just choose restore calibration option

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your car is a 03-05 they need to measure from the bottom of the wheel if it is a 06-up the need to measure from the center of the wheel if they are using a Autologic. Scan tool and if it is a 06-up they should be able to just choose restore calibration option
It's a 2003 which why it's the bottom of the wheel. :-( I am sure be fine when they take away the 1.5inch or 38mm from the measurement when they do the calibration. Once it's calibrated they then can measure from the centre and check it right.

Fingers crossed anyways

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is what is being given the garage doing the work.

First of all if the car is stuck in off-road mode don’t go over 35mph as this is normal limited for safety reasons as being so high makes the car unsafe to drive at high speed! and With a 22 inch wheel the rim will simply be one and a half inches lower than a 19 inch wheel. All they need to do is measure from rim to wheel arch and subtract one and a half inch from that measurement. (1.5in = 38mm) here a guide for you

Before starting make sure compressor tank is full, if installing new unit give it at least 15-20mins to fill fully.

So if you click the calibrate button wait for the car to adjust ready for calibration make sure you wait a good 3-5mins before taking measurements... then measure from the wheel rim to the arch (make sure you double check this a few times on each wheel as there can be a little difference on each side) selecting 19inch wheels option on your device and then -38mm from that measurement (this will give you same reading as if it’s a 19” rim was fitted) IE if you measure 825 takeaway –38mm = 787mm which will be the setting for the front.) so same for the back and input these numbers into the computer, give to at least 10mins to let the car to setup new settings. May take longer on some devices.

Once setup the ride high should be 753 front and 743 for 19” wheels if you have 22” wheels add +38mm to this measurement.

From hub centre no matter the size of the wheels it should be standard driving mode 493-495 in front and 483-485 rear if it’s not you have done something wrong so start the process again.
If these measurements are correct now you need to measure in each mode.

So start in lower access mode which is 713 front and 703 for 19” wheels if you have 22” wheels add +38mm to this measurement.

Off-road mode should be 813 front and 793 for 19” wheels if you have 22” wheels add +38mm to this measurement.

Again you must wait a couple minutes between changes as first setup will still be adjust with the ECU.

Hope this helps, although these instructions should be in the latest RAVE CD land rover and anyone doing car with larger wheel just need to adjust setting a little.

If after calibration the height from centre is something like 505mm instead of 493-495mm then you need to recalibrate again, so measure from bottom wheel lip to arch giving something like 815mm then-38mm for the wheel size (19 to 22” wheels) difference and take an extra 10mm off this to counter the measurement giving 767mm which in the end result will give the correct readings. And you should now be 495mm from centre hub. It’s important you get this right!

If the car is sitting to low after calibration just do the same as above but add mm to reading.

Remember the rear should be sitting 10mm lower than the front when setup. If not do the same run setup again and – x mm to lower rear on config and + x mm to add height until this is correct.
It’s really simple once someone has done a few times and wheel size should have made no difference to setup just some maths working out the size difference.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Oh dear lourde. There is so much misinformation in that posting I don't know where to even begin. I can only say I am very happy that I have competent indies in my area for projects I don;t want to take on and to recommend to folks that ask for references.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh dear lourde. There is so much misinformation in that posting I don't know where to even begin. I can only say I am very happy that I have competent indies in my area for projects I don;t want to take on and to recommend to folks that ask for references.
if you dont mind would you let me know whats incorrect with the information ? surely measuring from wheel on 22" is 1.5inch radius more then a 19" which is 38mm. so if they measure from the 22" wheel to the arch and takeaway 38mm from there measurement that is the same as if a 19inch wheel is fitted no ?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
EAS has been beat to death for years. EVERYTHING anyone would ever need has been detailed, catalogued and is in the history books.

THe long and short is that your shop is feeding you lines of bull plop, they are inept and unable to handle one of the most basic of items on an L322.

Your first paragraph is a perfect example. Rovers do not go to extended mode for safety issues. The EAS goes to extended mode if it senses that it is unable to lower and then programming assumes it is high centered. What the EAS will do in any self preservation instance is fully vent the system and shut everything off. This mean you are on the bump stops and the compressor is off to prevent overheat and wear.

It does not nor has it ever taken 20 minutes for a new unit to fill the tank. 10 minutes with a healthy compressor is pretty much max.

You do not "wait" to remeasure after a calibration nor do you "wait" in between setting changes. You either drive the Rover to ensure that any static energy is released form the suspension or you full raise then lower then reset to standard height. THis also eliminates any binding issues for making adjustments. There is never a time in which you change a setting and waiting is ever going to make a difference. WHen you make a setting change and store it it is done. You can only confirm after raising and lowering or driving. The settings are NOT going to change.

Lost of math... blah blah blah...

All of your measurements are faulty because they are not measured properly. They will only assist folks with the exact same make, model and tread wear of tyre. Someone running 26" rims on a P38 are going to have the same wheel centre to lip measurements as someone running 18" rims. Any other measurements only serve to cloud, confuse and muck up folks. Measuring a rim edge to lip as noted in RAVE is ONLY appropriate with 100% tread depth on factory make and model tyres.

Your shop has done you a great disservice, confused you and are furthering the idea that EAS is an overly complicated system. They are obviously not familiar with the EAS system nor are they familiar with servicing it. Apparently this revolves around some inflexible diagnostics gear they have chosen... not your issue. However for any shop at any time to even suggest you mount different tyres and rims so that their equipment can properly handle a simple calibration is a sign to run, not walk away from their shop.

Again this is not your fault other than lack of research and only believing what the shop is telling you. THey have fed you huge amounts of bull plop that simply does not fly in the real world or with any shop that has decent experience.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well they redid the suspension setup,

Car sitting much better now and now enters low driving mode and high mode.. and auto goes to highway mode ok.

from hub its more like 485mm and 476mm rear. which seems 5mm too low. i will see how its goes.

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last and finale update,

One more trip back, the car is now sitting perfectly and exactly on the correct settings ! Happy happy

So 493-495 front and 483-485 rear.. measuring from centre hub

I know everyone is different but for anyone interested the setting ended up being on 22" hawke wheels.

from wheel lip to car arch

Left Front - 825
Right Front - 821
Left Rear - 816
Right Rear - 816

then we took away -48mm to all the measurements and inputted the below into the calibration tool on the 19" wheel setting on the machine.

Left Front - 777
Right Front - 773
Left Rear - 768
Right Rear - 768

which give the perfect results in all high settings. !

just happy its all been sorted.

cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.