RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm considering adding the front lamp guards because i have the rear ones and like them. yes i know they don't really offer great protection if something really wants to break the lamp but after some a**h*** smashed the tail lamp on my dad's 06 hse in a parking lot (with their fist; you could actually see the fist shape) i decided to keep them on mine to reduce the threat. i've seen pics of them in catalouges and what not but was wondering if any members have them and have a decent pic they'd be willing to post so i could see them in real life. i've got a-frame on the front so it would be the drill-in ones, not the ones that fit in the wings. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Hi there, these any good for you? Just done with my mobile if you need better let me know and I'll whip out the camera when the sun is out..

Front......

Side.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've got em fitted and my daughter calls them my knuckle dusters.... :D

The brackets on the side of the wings (or fenders) or held on with rivnuts so you'll need the tool to pop them in though I suppose you could use the right size self tappers if you can't get hold of a rivnut tool.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ours are half inch round steel bars, I'd like to see some goof-off try to punch his fist through one of those. I'd come out to a bloody mess in front of my truck and a puddle on the ground, and a trail leading to where he went. :lol: Atlantic British puts out a set of rear and front guards made of metal and powder coated black, and I'm thinking of switching to those as my tail light covers are made of plastic, and their already broken in a couple of places. Keep the rubber side down, Big-T.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sadly the attacker was not considerate enough to do it while we were in the area. the weak and the bitter rarely are. :cry: dad had no guards on his; not good.
at present i have the clear egr snap-in ones on my front lamps and they have been marvelous. i commute close to 100 miles every single day and that gives lots of big rigs a chance to shell me with gravel and stones. the egr's have taken some nasty hits with not even a scratch. i really like that way the bars look though and would like the front to match the rear though.
i was driving in one morning and an 18 wheeler blew a tire and threw the tread into my face while we were going 80 mph. cars on either side of me and i was not about to swerve in a 38a at that speed. it was like a horror movie watching this five foot long belted thing coming at me at grille height in slow motion. i just braced myself and waitied for terrible impact, which followed a second later. i was sure i'd taken some serious damage to the lamps and grille but between the a-bar and egr guards i just lost a tooth on the lower spoiler grill which was easily fixed. that could have been expensive. :pray:

·
Registered
320 Posts
LIRA said:
The brackets on the side of the wings (or fenders) or held on with rivnuts
I read that a lot, but the brackets on my car are actually glued on.

So when I decided to take them off*, there were no ugly holes in the bodywork.

Only ugly glue. I tried to heat it up gently and scrape it off carefully, but the paint came off with it nonetheless. I gave up, could try solvents though.

*) No hamfisted bitter weak around where I park; apart from myself that is

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
interesting. we can't pass inspection in nj with rear guards on so every couple of years i temporarily remove them so i pass. then you just put them back on. when i do have them off, i either use small white rubber plugs or plastic screws to fill the holes after spritzing the holes with wd40 to prevent rust. actually now that i think of it i got stainless screws at the local hardware store for those and the license plates last year. now the spritz is for the threads in there only i guess. point is the wagon looks garden variety from normal distance and only if you study it you know the holes exist. what sort of glue you got going?

·
Registered
217 Posts
How about putting neversieze in your holes instead of WD-40 because after no time at all the WD is gone and your holes start to rust again. WD is not meant to be a long term solution, only a temperary tool to break through the rust and allow you to get screws out, hense the name penetrating oil, it's not going to protect you long term. You can pick up never-sieze at any auto parts store, it look's like silver paste. I use it every time I take something apart so next time it will come apart easy and it sticks around for ever. Just don't use it anywhere you should be using lock-tight. Big-T

·
Registered
320 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
what sort of glue you got going?
Some kind of black, glossy goop.

It's used throughout the car to fix stuff to other stuff. It's very tough. Without it, I'd probably loose some major parts.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
BargePilot said:
dutchfrompredator said:
what sort of glue you got going?
Some kind of black, glossy goop.

It's used throughout the car to fix stuff to other stuff. It's very tough. Without it, I'd probably loose some major parts.
That's windscreen glue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts