RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
73 Posts
Re: Anyone experienced changing to the performance pulley on the SC

Gotta agree, it's annoying when you ask a question you have to go through 10+ comments before someone chimes in with an answer. Also makes using the 'Search' function a pain because you have to wade through the BS posts to find your answers.

With that said, I'm grateful that you guys exist (annoying or not), you have saved me thousands of dollars by providing me info on how to fix an issue myself. I'll gladly accept the BS posts when it comes to saving money. Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

I would personally go with just a tune, from a good reputable tuner(look for jag tuners) before going with a pulley.

An overdriven SC pulley will increase spin rate, and therefor will increase boost, however the engine was not designed for this, and I don't mean in the way of the increased pressure. The SC on this engine has also been a cause of concern when it comes to reliability, so making it spin faster might not really be in your best interests.

By increasing spin rate you are also increasing air temperature, which is not accounted for in stock form, the intercoolers are not designed to dissipate more heat then the stock setup produces. You are also not really increasing air flow nearly as much as you would think, the increase in manifold boost level is more so due to the restriction of air through the intake ports, as again, it has been designed for what it is. Keep in mind, this SC set up(from pulley to intake port) was designed for what the cylinder head flow, you will not see much more usable power from it without creating more boost with more airflow, not the other way around.

The 600hp set ups are not lies, but its not exactly the same as a ~100hp gain. In increasing intake air temp, you loose combustion efficiency, which at lower engine speeds will be noticeable. It is the whole peak vs area under the curve argument for anyone that has ever been into performance engines.

The reason I say go with a tune before anything else is, this same essential engine, with the same SC and pulley on it, has different variants, with huge power differences based mostly off tune, although minor changes to intake and exhaust(post SC, and pre cat - you will see almost nothing but noise gain for a cold air/K&N, or cat back setup) But take the Jag XF, the XF SC is rated at 470/424, the XFR is rated 510/461, and the XFR-S is rated 550/502. All of those have the same base 5.0 that you have, with the same Eaton TVS1900 blower.

If a new tune (and do not get some mail order thing, those usually do more harm then good) does not satisfy, look into a performance shop, and upgrading the base blower from the TVS1900 to the TVS2300. This would give you more flow at the same spin rate, and a lower air temp. The intake restriction element would still be there, so it would not be entirely ideal, however it would be a much better option. To put this swap in real world application terms, it is really the main difference between the LSA engine in the Cadillac CTS-V and the LS9 engine in the Corvette ZR1, with rated outputs of 556/551 and 638/604 respectively.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

Also makes using the 'Search' function a pain because you have to wade through the BS posts to find your answers.

ChadS, you forgot a couple of things.

1. Cluttering up the search function with new posts on topics that have been covered already. Members like 98 apparently feel that every idea that pops into their head deserves a new post on the forum, so instead of linking to an existing post, either because they don't give a crap or are too lazy, will post a repeat. Your gripe of wading through a couple of BS posts in one thread is nothing compared to wading through multiple duplicate posts scattered about in two pages of search results.

2. As far as wasting your time goes. Next time you are inconvenienced and have to wade through a few BS posts to find the answer you are looking for, consider that some other members on the forum may have "wasted" significantly more time putting together a DIY with words, pictures or video, linking up TSB's, creating stickies (that nobody looks at), responding to pm's on why something is not ______ correctly, keeping spam from infiltrating the site, etc, etc. So perhaps your time is more valuable than theirs, and deserves to be cherished a bit more? I don't know, but that's an arrogant assumption.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts

Could also port the heads from the engine / and port the blower out with a tune, which would gain a noticeable power gain without changing the pulley. might be the safest route without generating more heat from a smaller pulley.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Did you do your upgrade? I am looking at the Eurotoys pulley and tune option for my 2008 RR SC.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I too would like any feedback on people who have done the pulley for the 5.0. A local shop called oe tuning offered to do a full a/f dyno tune on my rrss for around $700, claiming gains of over 25+ rwhp. If I decide on it, I will post it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

+1 on this. Would like to know some real world results on OE or Eurocharged before i purchase.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts