RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever run out of gas in RRS? My ODBII reads 12% at empty.

So I've been paying some attention to the ODBII data lately.
one thing that really stands out is that my fuel readings are consistent with the car but not accurate. When the car is at 1 mile range, ODBII still says that I have 12.5% left.
So has anyone actually ran out yet? Would be nice to know how far the reserve fuel can get me. I love making my wife miserable by running on empty as she freaks out that we're going to be stranded somewhere. In my defence, she starts to freak out when I hit 1/4 tank.

picstitch.jpg

On another note, once I get Dash Commands setup correctly and enter all the correct data, I'll post some other interesting data which obviously is wrong now (581 HP ;))

Also, interestingly enough, at empty, I put 25.5 Gallons in . If there is even 2 gallons of reserve fuel left, that would mean the tank fits over 27 gallons?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: Anyone ever run out of gas in RRS? My ODBII reads 12% at empty.

Also, interestingly enough, at empty, I put 25.5 Gallons in . If there is even 2 gallons of reserve fuel left, that would mean the tank fits over 27 gallons?
It's a 105 liter tank. That is 27.7 US gallons and 23.1 of the British kind (the one listed in the US manual... go figure.)

·
Registered
122 Posts

What is interesting is that when I picked up my RRS from the dealer it was on fumes--the distance to empty said "0". The dealer and I drove it straight to the gas station (dealer paid for it of course) but I was nervous it was going to run out while driving to the station. The dealer states they ship the vehicles almost empty.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

That is SOP for all makes of new cars as well as private shipping companies. When you have 100 cars on a train would you rather have a thousand gallons of fuel in case of fire or 100 gallons?

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,561 Posts

What is interesting is that when I picked up my RRS from the dealer it was on fumes--the distance to empty said "0". The dealer and I drove it straight to the gas station (dealer paid for it of course) but I was nervous it was going to run out while driving to the station. The dealer states they ship the vehicles almost empty.
When the "distance to empty" gauge reads 0, there is at least a gallon+ in reserve.

·
Registered
274 Posts

When the "distance to empty" gauge reads 0, there is at least a gallon+ in reserve.
The RRS has 1.1 or so in its fuel system, not counting reserve. OK, maybe it counts reserve. It's unclear and I haven't measured.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

The main purpose of those few gallons isn't technically "reserve" it's to keep enough fuel in tank to not allow the fuel pump to pull air and essentially cavitate and wreak havoc on the pump and fuel system pushing and pressurizing air in the lines and injectors.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,561 Posts

The main purpose of those few gallons isn't technically "reserve" it's to keep enough fuel in tank to not allow the fuel pump to pull air and essentially cavitate and wreak havoc on the pump and fuel system pushing and pressurizing air in the lines and injectors.
Oh, I thought it was to make the running out of gas Russian Roulette game more interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

Don't like playing that game with a V8 on a steep mountain road when you have no idea where the gas stations are!

Husband was driving :roll: `)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Don't like playing that game with a V8 on a steep mountain road when you have no idea where the gas stations are!

Husband was driving :roll: `)
Then you won't have that story to tell your grandchildren some day about the time you had to walk 15 miles in the middle of the night to find a cell signal and all the interesting people you met along the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts

First time I run low today. My gauge is pointing to E but the yellow light hasn't come on yet. I'll measure you many gallons it takes and report if it's a malfunction or spousal freaking out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts