RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm replacing the front left halfshaft.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to pull the halfshaft out of the front diff.

The service manual just says to "release the halfshaft" but mine doesn't want to come out. I'm guessing it's just going to require some persuasion but any tips/tricks/etc would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if putting the truck in gear/out of gear might loosen it a bit?????

·
Registered
454 Posts
Look up CV shaft replacement on youtube.
They're pretty much all the same in removing procedure, does not have to be LR specific.
I am about to replace 2 front ones. On my previous 2009 RRS i had a front diff replaced and CV Driveshafts had to come out. Mechanic just popped them out with 18" or so prybar. Again - view few videos - it will help you yo understand what and how

·
Registered
454 Posts
What is the reason you replacing yours please?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Roman, I have found a few videos that are somewhat helpful. I see lots of different techniques including chains, prybars, slide hammers, etc. Actually bought a prybar yesterday at Harbor Freight so we'll see how it goes.

I'm replacing the front left halfshaft because I made a dumb mistake during my motor install. In order to more easily get to the torque converter bolts I had removed the upper control arm. I didn't read the manual closely that you aren't supposed to let the lower control arm hang unsupported because it pulls apart the CV joint on the halfshaft. Now I'm getting a metal "clank" sound when turning slow corners and I'm pretty sure it's the halfshaft.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Oh I see. If you take the boot off, there is a possibility that you will find one of the ball bearings fallen out. If put back - just might work unless you had driven like that for a while, things may suffer some damage. I had ordered GKN drive shafts from LR Direct, short one was like 160, longer one is 225. 460 for both including delivery from UK. GKN is on the top of the list of CV Joint components manufacturers and units look to be a good quality. I am trying to trubleshoot high speed vibration issues that usually relates to inner joint of halfshaft while clicking is usually a deffect of outer of one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, already have a new one from British Parts of Utah - $135 but don't remember which brand.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
535 Posts
6 inch piece of 4x4 lumber and a 4lb hammer. Place 4x4 against cv joint and give it one good thumb with the hammer and it should release the axle clip from the transmission.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6 inch piece of 4x4 lumber and a 4lb hammer. Place 4x4 against cv joint and give it one good thumb with the hammer and it should release the axle clip from the transmission.
Thanks - I did see on another forum somewhere (thanks google) where someone recommended this (could have been you?)

What I did was have a neighbor tap the CV with my deadblow hammer while I put tension on the CV with this bad boy:

I actually bent both of smaller pry bars trying to get the CV out of the differential. Whether it was the extra leverage of the bar above or the tapping of the hammer (which I suspect) it popped right out with this combo.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Glad you got it out. It takes a sharp movement to dislodge the clip. If you don't get the correct momentum you could be there all day bending tools.

·
Registered
454 Posts
How about the other side, the wheel hub side I mean, besides taking the CV axle nut off, did you have to undo lower ball joint or anything else?

·
Registered
535 Posts
The axle cannot be removed without giving some room to remove it. Removing the lower balljoint might be enough with the steering tierod removed from the knuckle. It has been on most vehicles I have removed a shaft on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts