RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that everytime I take my truck in for anything they can always over 2-$3k worth of work that "needs" to be done??? I think if I took a brand new rover to my indy shop straight off the lot they could find something wrong with it to fix.... Sorry guys just venting as this truck is causing me to loose hair, sleep, and money this week...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Re: anyone else feel like they get taken EVERYTIME at the shop??

Ours has not seen a "shop" since we have owned it (@3yrs and 50k miles). So no I guess I don't feel that way :thumb:
Invest in tools and a Faultmate and you will suddenly realize that a P38 need not be an expensive rig to own ;)

Martin

·
Registered
89 Posts

And i thought it was rip off britain i,d get well rid before i paid anything like them sort of prices labour of love or not worked in a garage and seen all the tricks and the spin that is put on things to get you to part with your well earned .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Good idea to invest in the code reader, but then I still have to do the work....we'll see. I think once I'm done with this Rover I'm going to BMW guys. I would absolutely not own another truck, but it has broken my spirit lol

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Yeah, a BMW will be a lot cheaper huh :lol:
ANY luxury brand is going to rape you financially, unless you do the work yourself mate.
I would get the Faultmate and some tools. 90% of the jobs are not difficult at all to do yourself. Granted I am pretty 'mechanically inclined", but on a scale of 1 to 10, the vast majority of P38 jobs are 4 or less IMHO.

Martin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I completely understand any luxury brand will be expensive to repair, but IMHO(and what I see from friends) a BMW will spend much less time with service or reliability related issues. Just little random things like the blend motors going out...I've never heard of a $68k+ automobile having little issues like that...like I said it has been a blast to drive when it's been working, but I guess I've reached the tipping point. Maybe if I could afford to get a new RR every 50k miles it would be better lol. RR owners are like people who like Apple products(they will love them no matter how many issues they have or they would have long gone out of business), they'd buy an Apple pet rock if they made it.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Sorry you have had bad luck with yours then mate.
I can honestly say the cost of owning ours has been very reasonable IMO.
For what I paid for it ($5400) and the stuff I have fixed (EAS airbags from Arnott on Ebay, valve block rebuild via Dennis, excellent used compressor from a guy on here, Faultmate from BBS, 1 blend motor from Scotty, and the rest are svc items like brakes, plugs etc), it has proven its worth. Hell I even have a spare motor with 140k on it that I got for $500 complete with coil packs etc. :thumb:
Keep your eyes open and you can save a fortune.
I have owned other "premium" makes, and believe me there are lots of costs involved IF you dont work on them yourself. Call the local BMW and Mercedes dealers and compare prices for labor and service items. Blend motors, brakes, alternator, etc.
Just my .02 and experiences

Martin

·
Registered
13 Posts

leftlanetruckin said:
Ours has not seen a "shop" since we have owned it (@3yrs and 50k miles). So no I guess I don't feel that way :thumb:
Invest in tools and a Faultmate and you will suddenly realize that a P38 need not be an expensive rig to own ;)

Martin
Not trying to hijack the thread but - Which Faultmate did you buy? Are you happy with it? Can you unlock BeCM's ? I've been looking but I'm somewhat confused by the website. If you buy one for "1" VIN do you have to basically sell it with the vehicle or is it like some tuning chips where if you uninstall it you can use it on another vehicle that matches? I'd their commerical version that you can use on multiple vehicles and purchase "licenses" for year/make/models but I'm having a hard time determining pricing. Thanks! Troy

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

I would shoot Colin an email/PM and he can answer everything for you mate. I have the MSV IIRC and it is locked to my VIN. I cna change the VIN for @$50 though if I get a new rig.

Martin

·
Registered
701 Posts

RR owners are like people who like Apple products(they will love them no matter how many issues they have or they would have long gone out of business), they'd buy an Apple pet rock if they made it.
There is plenty of truth to that... I hate apple though. You will get reamed at the dealer like truckin said unless you do the work yourself. Even local shops tend to rip me off, on my other vehicles as well as the RR (the price of repairs is all in the labor). BMWs are a lot like rovers...maybe its cause LR was owned by them for several years. The repairs are actually pretty easy and simple on bmws, much like they are on rovers. Usually little and stupid, but they are still very expensive if taken to a shop. TRUST ME, I know from experience. You might not believe me now, but when your MAF sensor, radio, and airbag sensors start failing and you take it to a BMW shop... you will 8) .

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,391 Posts

rover guy 01 said:
Just little random things like the blend motors going out...I've never heard of a $68k+ automobile having little issues like that...
I view blend motors as consumables. They work all the time and just wear out. Your car is 9 years old - what do you expect?

Our Peugeot had exactly the same blend motors and they wore out, too.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Hi,

My Range Rover is a 2.5 BMW diesel engine.. I don´t understand how going to a BMW product makes that difference :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just learn how to do things, buy a decent set of tools and a faulmate and you will never got problems again, all my problems stopped since I started not to go to Mechanics any more... every time that the RR goes to fix something come out with a new symptom...

Regards,
Sérgio

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts

Well I get many Rangies in that are in very poor state, avarage bill is around the R25000 mark.

When you add up all the spares and labour that goes into repairs it still stirs me to see me charging customers for the work I do, there again if it everyone did there own repairs vehicles like Range Rover P38s would be no more.....exsperience is where its all at......I should know I get hounded daily for info...

We wont go down the road of overheads like pay, rent phone calls, local taxes, consumables and the list never ends.

All I can say to people on a tight budget that own Range Rovers is to trade it in for another vehicle, afterall there's plenty other 4x4s out there......

It angers me when I quote a repair and the reply is "A toyota Hilux is cheaper to fix"...dah

·
Registered
148 Posts

When I was having valve block problems, many moons ago I went to the local dealers spare parts section to enquire about an o-ring kit to refurb it. I opened the door and looked around. The guy behind the counter asked what I was looking for and I told him that I was looking for the seat that I could sit on when he told the price of what I needed.... He didn't get it... So I asked my question and got my "Sorry they don't make a kit, it's about $4000 to replace the parts". I which point laughed, told him "See that's why you need a chair in here" and then told him, "It's ok I can get what I need to fix it from the states for less than $30 including postage". The guy shrugged his shoulders and went back to his newspaper...

I love this modern age of computers and the Internet makes everything more accessible and usually alot cheaper for us poor Range Rover owners.. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts

Shadow Keeper said:
I love this modern age of computers and the Internet makes everything more accessible and usually alot cheaper for us poor Range Rover owners.. :D

:clap:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
484 Posts

You all need to find an 'indy' like mine - he keeps telling me things that don't need doing :shock:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
86 Posts

The indy shops are pretty good in this area but the labor is still very expensive, and they tend to markup the parts. I only take it to the shop when its something that requires a lot of special tools or is pretty complicated, ex. I'm currently looking for a shop with a press to change out my panhard rod bushings. My truck is a daily driver so I cant let it sit around broken for a few weeks while I mess with it. I've learned a ton about car repair because of this truck and also how quickly it can drain my wallet!

Shoot me a note if you need a hand on something, I live in D.C.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Any shop slightly worth its weight will have a shop press....
Hell, go to Harbor Freight, Northern Tool etc and get a ball joint press. It will push the bushings out. Just like a vice will :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
35 Posts

You can save significant money just by doing some of the more simple repairs yourself. I'm just getting started in this game, but here are a few of my examples:

Indy quoted me $250 to replace some light bulbs behind the instrument cluster. I did it myself for about $15. The same shop also quoted me $120 to replace the serpentine belt. I did it myself for less than $30.

The prior owner had a quote from a dealership of $300 to fix an inoperative cruise control. I did it for $0.

A tire shop quoted me almost $400 to replace the rear pads and rotors. I did it myself for $130.

My next project is to put on new Bilstein shocks. Venturing a guess, I'd say that a shop would charge me more to install 4 cheaper shocks for what it will cost me to buy the Bilsteins and install them myself.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
86 Posts

leftlanetruckin said:
Hell, go to Harbor Freight, Northern Tool etc and get a ball joint press. It will push the bushings out. Just like a vice will :thumb:
I didn't think a ball joint press would have enough strength to push them out. I can probably borrow one from an autozone.

Bolt17 - I completely agree, this is often how I justify buying upgraded parts and doing it myself vs the cost of standard parts and labor from a shop. Brakes are easy to do if you can get the wheels off! :pray:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts