RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
We just removed ours to prepare for a respray. They are held on with something that looks like double-sided sticky tape.

We may leave them off.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James. I think I am going to remove them. Maybe a heat gun and plastic panel wedges to remove. Any tips on how easy it was to get them off?

If you look at the evolution of the truck (and cars in general) they have now moved away from these parking lot ding rails. The Range Rovers particularly have two very nice, parallel body lines down the side that these rails cover up that can be seen on earlier versions as well as on modern trucks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great point. I'll be doing it to a black truck and will be cutting/polishing the paint at the same time.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
I think it looks good on some colors and odd on others...

I left them off when I had the bodywork / paint re-done on my Hunter.
P1010840.jpg P1010836.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
I hummed and hawed over leaving them off after the strip and paint. I went with putting new ones back on. personally i think on the later cars it finishes it well and is more in keeping with the Luxury Vehicle end of the market that the car was aimed for, and more imporantly to protect new paint work. i'd rather have the rubber knocked than the paint chipped !!

Without..
DSC_0813b.jpg

with..
DSC_0936b.jpg

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
I agree with ukadamwest. The later ones look better with the strips on (maybe also because of the front air dam).

·
Registered
718 Posts
hmm. got me thinking about this. i love the look with them off but I wonder what a LWB would look like... I saw the link to the white lwb and i agree that looks a little off. Mine's ardennes green so closer to what that hunter looks like i would hope.

·
Registered
718 Posts
so this got me thinking and I should probably start a new thread... But what about backdating our newer classics to more closely resemble the early classics? so the thin front and rear bumper, rub rail delete, early wheels... maybe bonnet mounted side mirrors? or would that just look weird?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@sydneyman, that is my goal with my '95. Early bumpers for sure, flat face five spoke, and some other small changes to get a more vintage look.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a heads up on this. Removing the rail was easy and the pieces are very flexible rubber which could easily be remounted with double sided mounting tape. One think to note, at least on my 95, is that the rear lower quarter panels have holes under the trim piece for small reflectors. So, you will need to get those to plug the holes if you do not plan on putting them back on.

I am going to clean the truck up and decide later if I want to re-mount them. If I do, I'm getting silver .25" pin stripe for the center and likely doing a flexible, textured black coating for the trim itself. I've seen it done on later jeeps with a nice contrast effect.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha! You'll have to wait for me to spend a few hours removing the mounting tape first.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts