RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two scenarios where I find this annoying:

When the car is warmed up and I put it in park, sometimes it will shut down and sometimes not. My reflex is to just press the start/stop button when I am ready to call it a day, but sometimes the truck shuts off just before I can hit the button, and it actually starts up again right as it shuts off. If the foot is off the brake, it goes into battery mode.

Twice now I have stopped at an intersection and needed to get something out of my front pocket (I'm living on Aleve at this point).
Put the car in park and undo my seatbelt to get at the pocket. The car automatically shuts down completely, and won't restart. I am sitting in traffic with cars honking, and it doesn't respond to the usual foot on brake and push start button.
The dealer tells me the car thinks I have "arrived" and does me the favor of shutting everything down. But I don't know why it won't restart for 20-30 seconds.

Any thoughts, or ways to disable this? Would the auto start/stop in traffic hack work for this?

2019 SVA

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my 2019 L494 I can disable this by disabling the auto stop/start system. Car stays on, I can even exit (and take something out of the trunk) without the engine stopping.

·
Registered
39 Posts

When the car is warmed up and I put it in park, sometimes it will shut down and sometimes not. My reflex is to just press the start/stop button when I am ready to call it a day, but sometimes the truck shuts off just before I can hit the button, and it actually starts up again right as it shuts off. If the foot is off the brake, it goes into battery mode.

Twice now I have stopped at an intersection and needed to get something out of my front pocket (I'm living on Aleve at this point).
Put the car in park and undo my seatbelt to get at the pocket. The car automatically shuts down completely, and won't restart. I am sitting in traffic with cars honking, and it doesn't respond to the usual foot on brake and push start button.
The dealer tells me the car thinks I have "arrived" and does me the favor of shutting everything down. But I don't know why it won't restart for 20-30 seconds.

Any thoughts, or ways to disable this? Would the auto start/stop in traffic hack work for this?

2019 SVA
YES! The situation that drives me crazy is when I put the car in park and tap to close windows / sunroof. Unbuckle my seatbelt to gather my things while I wait for them to close, car shuts off completely, leaving windows / roof stuck mid-close. :rolleyes:

Turning off the start/stop each time you get in the car disables the auto-shutdown feature, too. It's become almost habit to hit that off button every time I start the car, but sometimes I forget. First world problem, yes...but still annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every problem we have is a first world problem! 😅
Doesn't mean things shouldn't work smoothly.
I'd like a permanent fix, and don't mind the start/stop in traffic thing. But if that's the only way around it, I guess I won't save the environment :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
This doesn't need fixing, this is the documented way the Range Rover works since 2013. Yes, when the vehicle stops AND you undo the belt, the engine shuts down. FWIW the blind, the windows will continue to work for a while, unless a door is opened.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Auto stop/start does nothing for the environment, but it puts stress on the starter motor, uses battery power that needs to be re-produced afterwards, and, in general, it's probably not news that engines push out most dirt during start. This is only for following some stupid government regulations, made by clueless people.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had velocity AP do a tune for my L494 and they disabled my auto start stop.

By disabling it they basically set it so it won’t engage unless the RPMs are at 0001(which is never )

much better

·
Registered
44 Posts
i don't like it as well.
but i learned just to ignore it.

The smart start/stop of the other car makers are no better ( BMW/ Mercedes)
it's pretending or sounding off to be a hybrid, and it's not
that's why we don't get the "smoothness" of a Prius in stop and go traffic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was being tongue-in-cheek about saving the environment. Best we could ever accomplish would be to destroy it a little more slowly; laws of thermodynamics, etc. Anyone driving a RR and think they're accomplishing that gets a pat on the back and nothing else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think I have figured out how to outsmart this goofy, stupid feature... get to your location, come to stop, then unbuckle belt WHILE car still in drive, voila, it stays running. I think. I’m still trying to get around it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have mine turned off, I also have the seatbelt warning turned off for good.

Mercedes is the worst out of all the car makers that do this.

On my mercedes the feature when ON never works when you would want it to (long traffic light, when actually idling). Instead it literally only comes on when you come to a short stop to make a turn, while backing up it'll shut the truck off then turn on again and off when switching to D. Or when you are in traffic thats not actual stop and go but maybe a quick slow down itll shut off and turn on and shut off.

This is a gas conserving feature btw from all car makers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I have figured out how to outsmart this goofy, stupid feature... get to your location, come to stop, then unbuckle belt WHILE car still in drive, voila, it stays running. I think. I’m still trying to get around it...

i tried doing this yesterday, but i noticed once you go from D to P, ( already unbuckled) the engine turns off too.

·
Registered
5 Posts

2019 SVA
You can turn off the auto stop/start (ECO) mode.. On my Range Rover Sport SC V8 I just press a button to turn off. However, when I do use it and it shuts off as soon as I barely move my foot off the brake it turns on right away..
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
153 Posts
The way that I avoid this is if I see the green Auto Stop icon lit up before I put it in park, I just turn the steering whee a bit and the engine starts back immediately. Then you can do whatever you want to do (i.e. unbuckle your seat belt) and the car won’t shut off again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i tried doing this yesterday, but i noticed once you go from D to P, ( already unbuckled) the engine turns off too.
Yeah, I realized that trick only works sometimes... as I said, I'm still trying to outsmart it, as its really not a very "smart" feature in my opinion. As I too have actually had the car shut off in traffic. And no, I'm not talking about the auto stop/start, I am talking the entire car shuts down, dash goes black. yeah, that's safe.

My latest attempt, is unbuckle as you're coming to a stop, OPEN DOOR Next, WHILE still in drive, turn steering wheel each direction a couple times, WHILE putting it in park... maybe that'll do the trick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The way that I avoid this is if I see the green Auto Stop icon lit up before I put it in park, I just turn the steering whee a bit and the engine starts back immediately. Then you can do whatever you want to do (i.e. unbuckle your seat belt) and the car won’t shut off again.
Same here. It's the quickest way I've found to start it back up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same here. It's the quickest way I've found to start it back up.
Not entirely sure you guys are following what we mean here ... we’re talking about car completely shutting off, going black. Like off, off... not the auto start/stop feature. This is goofy, not safe, shutting completely off like you turned the key off. That is, if these had keys..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not entirely sure you guys are following what we mean here ... we’re talking about car completely shutting off, going black. Like off, off... not the auto start/stop feature. This is goofy, not safe, shutting completely off like you turned the key off. That is, if these had keys..
No, I follow exactly what you're saying. But the automatic "off-off, going black" shutdown is part of the auto start/stop system. The car will shut 'off-off, go black' ONLY if the start/stop system has triggered first – at which point a combination of being in park and taking your foot off the brake or unbuckling the seatbelt triggers automatic 'off-off, completely black shut down'.

So what I'm saying is: if the auto start/stop DOES kick in before I've had a chance to put into park or unbuckle, a simple nudge of the steering wheel will start the car back up so I can put the car in park, unbuckle, etc without the car shutting off off.

This is also why people are suggesting turning the start/stop feature off when you get in the car - because it will also disable the automatic 'off-off, going black' shutdown.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, I follow exactly what you're saying. But the automatic "off-off, going black" shutdown is part of the auto start/stop system. The car will shut 'off-off, go black' ONLY if the start/stop system has triggered first – at which point a combination of being in park and taking your foot off the brake or unbuckling the seatbelt triggers automatic 'off-off, completely black shut down'.

So what I'm saying is: if the auto start/stop DOES kick in before I've had a chance to put into park or unbuckle, a simple nudge of the steering wheel will start the car back up so I can put the car in park, unbuckle, etc without the car shutting off off.

This is also why people are suggesting turning the start/stop feature off when you get in the car - because it will also disable the automatic 'off-off, going black' shutdown.
Ok, ok, I’m following... and all makes sense! I think I have just recently figured out the steering wheel trick too. If you turn the wheel side to side a few times, it seems to override to off, off shutdown nonsense. I’ve only had the car for less than a year now, still trying to figure out all the nuances of it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts