Range Rovers Forum banner

Anyone annoyed by the automatic shut down (not traffic start/stop)?

19K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  rickchitown 
#1 ·
Two scenarios where I find this annoying:

When the car is warmed up and I put it in park, sometimes it will shut down and sometimes not. My reflex is to just press the start/stop button when I am ready to call it a day, but sometimes the truck shuts off just before I can hit the button, and it actually starts up again right as it shuts off. If the foot is off the brake, it goes into battery mode.

Twice now I have stopped at an intersection and needed to get something out of my front pocket (I'm living on Aleve at this point).
Put the car in park and undo my seatbelt to get at the pocket. The car automatically shuts down completely, and won't restart. I am sitting in traffic with cars honking, and it doesn't respond to the usual foot on brake and push start button.
The dealer tells me the car thinks I have "arrived" and does me the favor of shutting everything down. But I don't know why it won't restart for 20-30 seconds.

Any thoughts, or ways to disable this? Would the auto start/stop in traffic hack work for this?

2019 SVA

See less See more
#3 ·
YES! The situation that drives me crazy is when I put the car in park and tap to close windows / sunroof. Unbuckle my seatbelt to gather my things while I wait for them to close, car shuts off completely, leaving windows / roof stuck mid-close. :rolleyes:

Turning off the start/stop each time you get in the car disables the auto-shutdown feature, too. It's become almost habit to hit that off button every time I start the car, but sometimes I forget. First world problem, yes...but still annoying.

Reactions: manic
#4 ·
Every problem we have is a first world problem! ?
Doesn't mean things shouldn't work smoothly.
I'd like a permanent fix, and don't mind the start/stop in traffic thing. But if that's the only way around it, I guess I won't save the environment :rolleyes:

#5 ·
This doesn't need fixing, this is the documented way the Range Rover works since 2013. Yes, when the vehicle stops AND you undo the belt, the engine shuts down. FWIW the blind, the windows will continue to work for a while, unless a door is opened.

#6 ·
Auto stop/start does nothing for the environment, but it puts stress on the starter motor, uses battery power that needs to be re-produced afterwards, and, in general, it's probably not news that engines push out most dirt during start. This is only for following some stupid government regulations, made by clueless people.

#8 ·
i don't like it as well.
but i learned just to ignore it.

The smart start/stop of the other car makers are no better ( BMW/ Mercedes)
it's pretending or sounding off to be a hybrid, and it's not
that's why we don't get the "smoothness" of a Prius in stop and go traffic

#9 ·
I was being tongue-in-cheek about saving the environment. Best we could ever accomplish would be to destroy it a little more slowly; laws of thermodynamics, etc. Anyone driving a RR and think they're accomplishing that gets a pat on the back and nothing else.

#12 ·
i tried doing this yesterday, but i noticed once you go from D to P, ( already unbuckled) the engine turns off too.

#11 ·
I have mine turned off, I also have the seatbelt warning turned off for good.

Mercedes is the worst out of all the car makers that do this.

On my mercedes the feature when ON never works when you would want it to (long traffic light, when actually idling). Instead it literally only comes on when you come to a short stop to make a turn, while backing up it'll shut the truck off then turn on again and off when switching to D. Or when you are in traffic thats not actual stop and go but maybe a quick slow down itll shut off and turn on and shut off.

This is a gas conserving feature btw from all car makers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.