RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running Factory 20" Rims on an early build L322?

I just picked up a second hand set of Factory 19" rims (with tyres) for my 05 L322 HSE V8. The 19s were standard equipment here on Vogue models only whereas the HSE was Factory fitted with 18" rims. (I have retained the latter and fitted them with M/T tyres for off road use) The Vogue 19s certainly offer improved cornering and general handling (especially when the vehicle is manually locked into nose down Highway mode) but I've since found a set of very rare (and hugely expensive) Factory seven spoke 20" rims for a very low price so I'm considering upgrading to those.

I'm seeking info as to whether they offer a significant handling improvement vs ride harshness over the 19s.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Re: Anybody running Factory 20" Rims on an early build L322?

Many folks have changed to 20" on first gens. They aren't really an upgrade, just different. Handling is not going to improve but there will be a slight harsher ride. However ride issues can be reduced with a slightly softer model of road tyre.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

We run Supercharged 20's on the wife's 2003. Ride feels great, although it came with a different set of 20's so no real comparison.

Martin

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The original 7 spoke Factory 20" rim option cost customers Downunder around $6000 in 04 so they are very rare and if I'm honest, they still look the best of them all. Stylish but at the same time, Conservative. Zero Bling. As I have been offered a set of four second hand with tyres fitted (50% tread) for $900, it's a very tempting proposition...

·
Registered
631 Posts

How do you manually lock the suspension height in "nose down highway mode"?

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

How do you manually lock the suspension height in "nose down highway mode"?

2006 L322 4.2L SC
Well, that's a very clever trick available on the 02-05 models (not known for their scintillating cornering capability in standard trim) and to the best of my knowledge, the trick is not in the Owner's Manual. With sustained highway driving exceeding 100km/hour and after a set interval, (two minutes?) the suspension lowers to just above 'entry' mode with the nose down slightly to offer a slightly 'wedge' shape. An orange LED beside the 'highway' graphic confirms the setting. Once attained, the driver simply sets the Lock button on the dash (inside the co-axial rotary height adjustment knob) where the suspension will Lock at that setting indefinitely. (until Lock is released, that is)

This makes for vastly improved road holding around town and as the 20" rims offer even less tyre sidewall flex than the 19s, it seems like an ideal scenario.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

false. highway or motorway mode is still level. This keeps headlamps properly aimed at all times as required in some markets. EAS equipped Range Rovers are always level except during height changes. Front always drops first when lowering and the back always raises first. This is to ensure that headlamps never blind on coming traffic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

false. highway or motorway mode is still level.
Have you driven an Australian delivered 05 L322? I thought not. Next time I put it in Highway mode and lock it, I'll measure it and post the results. (if anybody suspects my V8 has an EAS issue, the L322 TD6 which I bought new in 02 exhibited the exact same characteristics)

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

If your front lowers more than your rear it has been altered by someone with too much time on their hand to play with their diagnostics. Original factory EAS specs were the same for all markets. Items that changed through markets are things like emission components and lighting. Of course there are drivetrain and optioning differences as well but all of that is off topic.

·
Registered
631 Posts

How do you lock it in highway mode?

My understanding was that an L323 automatically lowers itself (evenly on all 4 corners) when you exceed 160km/h.

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
631 Posts

OK I saw how you lock yours in hwy mode, my bad, quick reading.

And yeah, over 70mph on the old L322's (112kmh) lowers the vehicle.

It's nowhere near as low as access mode from what I recall. I'll see if I can find some literature on it.

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
90 Posts

Lots of L322 owners putting 20", 21" and 22" wheels on.

Here is a thread on putting newer L405 wheels on the L322 .....

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic26461.html

Being lowered and having a lower profile tire definitely improves handling, my Rover no longer feels like driving a boat, it feels like a Sport SUV now.

The key to keeping the ride nice is, dont lower it to much, do NOT use a low profile 35 series tire (use at least a profile 40) and run your air at 36psi or so.

Here is my lowered 2006 L322 Range Rover with a set of 2015 L405 Range Rover Autobiography 21" wheels and 275/45/21 Tires.

Autobiography 21s in normal mode.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

OK I saw how you lock yours in hwy mode, my bad, quick reading.

And yeah, over 70mph on the old L322's (112kmh) lowers the vehicle.

It's nowhere near as low as access mode from what I recall. I'll see if I can find some literature on it.

2006 L322 4.2L SC
When locked in 'highway' mode and parked on a flat concrete pad, my RR certainly looked lower at the front but as I wrote previously, I'll measure it to see it it's just an optical illusion, I'm sure I read somewhere soon after I bought my L322 TD6 in late 2002 that this was done to improve wind resistance and handling at high speed.

Certainly, as Karlc writes, the combination of lowered chassis and even 19" low profile tyres transforms the vehicle from a boat into a car but it's great that this can be quickly switched back to Normal (along with a wheel/tyre swap) for bush driving and it is this true 'dual purpose' application where the Range Rover simply annihilates every other SUV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts