RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
P38 and Classic values are about to climb though!
We should tell Crammer. Might be his first good advice to investors. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Justin_Sherfy said:
When can I get one and how much is it going to be?
Next year. Im thinking around 50k plus for it.
Buy a pre-owned MKIII or Sport instead. When this green crap blows over it going to be as worthless as a Pruis. People will always buy SUV's. Hybrids and cross-overs are a fad.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Forget the hydrids... the energy requirements for the batteries don't make them very green...
But bring the diesels over the pond stateside...
and leave the Evoque in the UK. We don't want a two-wheel drive rover... Its sacrilege!

·
Registered
282 Posts
spikemd said:
Forget the hydrids... the energy requirements for the batteries don't make them very green...
But bring the diesels over the pond stateside...
and leave the Evoque in the UK. We don't want a two-wheel drive rover... Its sacrilege!
Re:

Four wheel drive versions of the Evoque will come equipped with the latest version of Land Rover’s signature Terrain ResponseTM system.

Customers can choose between two comprehensively updated 2.2-litre turbodiesel derivatives, with 190PS or 150PS. The front-wheel drive Evoque with the 150PS 2.2-litre engine achieves 58mpg and sub 130g/km CO2. The four-wheel-drive 2.2-litre 150PS delivers 50mpg and 145g/km CO2.
As for a deposit, we're looking into putting a deposit down on the 4-door (technically 5-door, but i don't count the tailgate as a door), but the dealers don't seem to have enough info.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
My V8 gives a impressive 12mpg.
And I dont feel like a fad chasing tool behind the wheel

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
My V8 gives a impressive 12mpg.
And I dont feel like a fad chasing tool behind the wheel
your point? :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I give it 2 years tops. Its a bubble. It will pop. No one cares about being green unless they make it the cheaper option for people.

I can buy a Chevy Volt for $40,000 or a nice Malibu for $30,000. Why would I buy the volt when the other car is cheaper? Thats how the general public thinks when buying a item.

Green is for the most part worst than the old fashion ways. Hybrids have more deadly chemicals than a MKIII. Recycled paper uses even worst chemicals in the process.

True science betters man kind. Not chasing the current fad to get goverment grants.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
If LR gave a flyin **** about being green why would they have shoe-wedged a bigger V8 into their product line while designing this?

This is all about fleet average MPG. All they need this thing to do is exsist so they can stay in the North America market when the new cafe standard hits.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it makes you feel better Leo, there were people moaning about the launch if the new Land Rover (appalling off-road, travesty, brand image etc) back in 1970 when the car we now know as the Classic was launched.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I know that. The point I am making is, green is a fad. This truck is a fad.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
I know that. The point I am making is, green is a fad. This truck is a fad.
In your opinion.

The Freelander was a flop here in part because it did not live up to what people thought Land Rover was all about. However it was a hit elsewhere in the world. Diesel Jeeps were a flop here thanks to the smear campaigns against diesel in the 80's. The basic theory behind any item is super simple. If ya don't like the product then don't buy it. I seriously doubt if a pissing match on the internet is going to sway anyone with a high enough IQ to think for themselves.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
The point I am making is, green is a fad. This truck is a fad.
I believe you misunderstand the desirability of the green "fad" - while the term "green" is being used in many instances purely as a selling point with no actual efficiency gains or environmentally-beneficial effects, products such as this are true advances in the area of efficiency. I could care less whether this technology will purportedly save the world, but it is important that companies are making advances in the fuel and power efficiency of cars. Take the Porsche 918 Spyder as an example, a true sports car that uses efficient means to its desired end. And, as for the new, larger V8's, they're more efficient and more powerful, so why not?

You also argue the Evoque is designed to help RR/LR meet the upcoming Cafe standards, but you miss an obvious market strategy goal. BMW, Volvo, Audi, Mercedes, and now Porsche (with the recently acknowledged "Cajun") all have small "luxury" SUVs (Q5, X3, GLK, etc.), below the RR Sport size. The Freelander has been a flop in the States, so LR is trying to gain market share by introducing a RR branded vehicle to compete in this newly popular segment. I disagree that it is a fad, since most of the high end companies have now "bet" in the area with small luxury SUV offerings.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,014 Posts
Anyway, don't knock it until you see it - and try it. It's obviously not going to appeal to 90% of current Land Rover owners, but if we didn't have all these kids to haul around my wife would probably love a vehicle like that over the same "old soup" offered by other German and Japanese manufacturers when she turns in her current Acura SUV, she hates off-roading with a vengeance anyway, and thinks all current Land Rovers out there are either too bloated and big (my Sport, the big Range), too big and ugly (LR3/4), or too cheap and utilitarian (LR2) for her taste. :wink:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,014 Posts
keiphers said:
Four wheel drive versions of the Evoque will come equipped with the latest version of Land Rover’s signature Terrain ResponseTM system.

Customers can choose between two comprehensively updated 2.2-litre turbodiesel derivatives, with 190PS or 150PS. The front-wheel drive Evoque with the 150PS 2.2-litre engine achieves 58mpg and sub 130g/km CO2. The four-wheel-drive 2.2-litre 150PS delivers 50mpg and 145g/km CO2.
I don't think either diesel engines are going to make it to North America, therefore no front-wheel drive Evoque for us. Petrol four-banger and full-time 4WD only, probably with a much simplified Terrain Response system considering the lack of low gears and EAS: Normal, Dynamic, Mud and Rain, Ice and Snow,... Mall and Soccer Practice? `)

·
Registered
282 Posts
umbertob said:
I don't think either diesel engines are going to make it to North America, therefore no front-wheel drive Evoque for us. Petrol four-banger and full-time 4WD only, probably with a much simplified Terrain Response system considering the lack of low gears and EAS: Normal, Dynamic, Mud and Rain, Ice and Snow,... Mall and Soccer Practice? `)
You're definitely right about the diesel engines - I quoted that to show there will be 4x4. I believe Soccer-assist mode is left off of the US version, but I did see Mall-assist and Grocery-Store-assist on a spy shot of the selector :thumb:.

·
Registered
536 Posts
lol, my bet is for a gutter (curb) assist mode :oops: I think they'll sell well in Australia, the Ford Territory 2wd outsells it's 4wd counterpart, and lots of others toyota rav4, nissan x-trail, which are basically 2wds with a 4wd style shell. Some people aren't interested in going off road, but want to buy into that sort of image. I've heard rumours that the EU require each vehicle manafacturer to average a certain polution level over their fleet, so by LR producing a very fuel efficient car, they can continue with higher poluting engines.
As a few have allready said though, to produce hybrids requires more polution than a normal vehicle. Even a 'normal' 2wd will take many years to burn through enough petrol or diesel to equal the amount of polution created during it's production. So actually.... the most 'green' vehicle, is an old twice around the clock range rover that's running on LPG!
I don't know if all this un-thought out hybrid stuff is for manafacturer's bragging rights. What's the point of making a petrol hybrid, when a now standard diesel gets better fuel economy and more power....toyota. I think it's a growing mis-informed segment of the market that manafacturers can make money from. If manafacturers were serious about envionmental impact, they would all create vehicles that would do a few million kilometres.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts