RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 2017 RR the remote start works via the app on the smartphone. I got it all set up but cannot communicate with the vehicle. I have to note here that I live in No ID and there is no ATT cell signal within 10 miles. There is a sporadic Verizon signal here and there. Do I need a cell signal at all? My last car was a Jeep GC and I could start and preheat the vehicle with a simple click on the key fob. Whoever came up with this smartphone thing? Maybe RR is meant only for metropolitan areas?

·
Registered
623 Posts
haven't tried the in control stuff - but if its as spotty as the speed limit sign info. in in the nav., that'll be a bummer. seems like most times i look at the speed info in the dash, its incorrect...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
470 Posts
Can you config the RR to use a WiFi signal? if it parked outside your house in the AM then it could prob grab your home signal...?

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I played with that in our '17 Evoque and seems to make exactly 0 difference whether it's Wifi or the AT&T link.

I should get my proper Range Rover in the next couple of weeks and will sure play with this more, but somehow I am not too optimistic about this feature. At least not at the current software version levels.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So does remote start actually work on 2017s now? This was a feature we were sold on when we ordered our 16 only to be disappointed that this feature was not enabled on North American vehicles. We are in Canada so I hope it works here if it works for you US guys.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
987 Posts
So does remote start actually work on 2017s now? This was a feature we were sold on when we ordered our 16 only to be disappointed that this feature was not enabled on North American vehicles. We are in Canada so I hope it works here if it works for you US guys.
Please define "actually work" - if you mean is it an actual included function then yes. If it's more does it work consistently then no. But that's just my experience, I'm probably at 30% success.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please define "actually work" - if you mean is it an actual included function then yes. If it's more does it work consistently then no. But that's just my experience, I'm probably at 30% success.
Why can't LR just have a Remote Start button on the Key Fob is besides me! Press a button, double press, whatever press, car starts! It's not rocket science, its been available for years on just about every manufacture.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why can't LR just have a Remote Start button on the Key Fob is besides me! Press a button, double press, whatever press, car starts! It's not rocket science, its been available for years on just about every manufacture.
There are advantages and disadvantages to that set up. If they can get the remote start to work properly from your phone it is actually much better because you can start your car while you are still walking around in the mall or the grocery store. The same cannot be done with a simple button on the key fob as you have to be within a close range.

The REAL question is, why can't LR get it to work properly? I had an aftermarket system (VIPER SMART START) that worked from my iPhone installed in 3 of my cars in the past (2 Audi's and 1 Acura) and I NEVER had an issue starting the car. It worked everytime, flawlessly! So I believe that is the real question

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
somewhat OFF

it doesn't work properly because car manufacturers know s%^# about consumer software. just look at your infotainment. we praise the improvements of ICTP and it is indeed a huge improvement but when you start digging, you see what a giant pile of c#$% it is from design/UI/quality standpoint.

back ON

and part of the above (technically) is remote start. They will fix it in the course of a few model years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because they are overpriced rolling piles of junk

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Agree, it became much more reliable with MY18. Now (21) it basically never fails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts