RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my heads now but I haven't never seen this before. Anybody know if that hump in the exhaust port can be removed? I don't see anything going to it but I can't be 100% sure it won't open up if I remove it

Attachments

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Interesting. All exhaust ports look that way? I don't think removing it would yield much result though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are all like that and its a huge restriction so would help. I'm just worried it is coolant, but like i said i cant see anything going to it and can't find anybody online that does porting for these specifically that i can ask.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
find a bad used head and port it to to see

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I seriously doubt that you will even notice whatever minor gain you get out of this process. That bump is obviously there for a reason or it would not have been designed into the casting. Are you willing to risk ruining your head?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You look at pretty much any head out there and you will see casting flaws and extra crap. I'm not asking if i will see differences I'm asking for people who have had their heads ported and if the porter removed that bump, thats all. I know for a fact that if it can be removed there will be a gain, thays a huge restriction. I'm getting a tune and pulley anyways so any flow increase will help.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
That is not a casting flaw though. I also doubt anyone here has had their heads ported. Tunes and pulley changes all day long because they have a quantifiable return. Most folks here are not going to be big on disassembling their perfectly good running engines to file and grind minor bits for minimal return.

You would most likely get a lot further contacting some of the tuning groups for their input.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I'd say that along with the increased boost, removing that hump could help quite a bit.
I just couldnt bring myself to hit it with the grinding stone and see what lies underneath though!
Maybe one of the Jag sites has some knowledge about that??

Martin

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
pavetim, that dos not look like
casting flaw, more like "designed build" in order to shape, direct the air flow. you can Magnaflow your inlets which will give you some improved air flow but leave the "hump",

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wouldn't remove it but I'm not a dynamicist. What I do know is that these things are evaluated using CAD flow models etc. and there's probably a good reason why it's there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
^ My thoughts. I mean sure it will "flow" better, but at what risk or real reason is it worth it, unless you are going to compare an exact truck that didn't have that done.

Side note - what pulley/tune are you looking at? I'm catching up on normal maintenance and then going to start shopping for some extra power and a way to open up the exhaust a tad bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the Velocityap tune and pulley, they say should see around 600hp. Yeah ill leave the hump

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And mine wasnt running right, got the dreaded timing issues. But I am a little OCD, didnt plan oion removing this much stuff but "while I am in there"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts