RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids & I built this one over the last 3 years out of reclaimed, salvage, and donated materials. I'm a home builder by trade and salvaged most of the materials from tear-downs, remodeling and renovation projects. Most of the other materials were donated by vendors I work with out of their "Odd Lots" or end runs departments.

The platform is 12' x 20' and the house is 8' x 12' with a 7' x 8' sleeping loft. There is a 4' wide catwalk on three sides and the entire platform is free floating on two asymmetrical trusses. Each tree (& truss) can move independent of the other and not tear the platform apart. Our property drops off towards the back so the uphill side of the platform is only 8' off the ground, but the downhill side is nearly 20'. There is underground wiring for cable & phone that runs to a switch inside the house - so when it's time for lights out - I can flip the switch!

Today was moving day - still have some work to do but with the last weekend of the summer coming up, the kids wanted to have some friends over for sleepover parties.

Enjoy!

My other helper.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mounted to the inner faces of the trees and through bolted with 5/8" threaded rod double nutted on each end.

Three of the rods go through each of the trusses center posts and through the trees.

The only part of the entire structure that touches the ground is the ladder.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Wow! I love it.

Great job. Did you need building permission from your local council?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
That's awesome, your kids looked happy in those "making of" photos, I can imagine now. Nice job, and that's some backyard you've got there! :thumb:

I thought about it and I think I'll stick to an electric pink Corvette for Christmas, though.

John Brabyn (owner of rr.net) has a very cool tree house in his "backyard", you reach it through a spiral staircase wrapped around the trunk of a nearby tree, then you have to take a thrilling and perilous walk on a long suspended bridge between trees to get there... Not very safe for kids I'm sure. I took a picture when I was there last year, unfortunately you cannot see much (you can barely make out a section of the bridge between trees):

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Dan (detroit_pierogi) on the (fenced) bridge (Umberto photo):

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,157 Posts
Good times

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Thats not a tree house, it's a tree condo!
Lucky kiddo's...
great job! :thumb:

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
:clap: :clap: very nice

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, I've enjoyed it as much as they have!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a day off today so I got the window & door casing done, and put in some base board around the edges. The end table was a $.50 tag sale find from this weekend and the lamp was a school project my daughter & I did - it's supposed to be a lighthouse. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ethan Allen coffee table from the "Last Chance" pile outside the back door of my favorite consignment store - $10.

A little more paint, some oil finish for the shingle siding, and a few more road signs inside and this one will be done!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
193 Posts
THAT is almost the coolest thing I've ever seen! :clap: :clap: :clap: I was just sitting here with my 4 year old son lookingat the pics and he wants one (so do I)! :thumb:
Seriously, very nice work!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some wide angle interior shots - give a better feel for the inside.

Got 3 inches or rain on Sunday with high winds - checked it yesterday morning and it's dry & tight inside. `)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From this morning - 27" of fresh snow, on top of 15" from 5 days ago!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts