RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 RRS SVR and before ordering a 2019 RRS SVR I wanted to do a comparison against the 2019 Velar SVR. Cannot find any update as far as details and timing of the Velar SVR other than early 2019. The Velar forum has no recent intelligence.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is no doubt the Velar SVR will be blast to drive and possibly a couple tenths of a second faster than a Sport SVR to 60 but I'd still choose the Sport SVR easily. I had a Velar First Edition (with only 380hp) and it was nice, but more of a car than a real SUV. It's lower to the ground, small inside and with the small windows. After the novelty of the amazing interior and touch pro duo wore off I couldn't wait to get out of it and into my Sport SVR. Anyway that is off topic and just my opinion -- design etc is all personal and luckily there is something out there for everyone.

Anyway the rumor was an announcement of the Velar SVR in October or November but perhaps it's been delayed. So if you really like the Velar you might as well hang on for another month and see if it's revealed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would guess the Velar SVR will coming in Fall 2019 as MY 2020. The F-Pace SVR will be a 2019 model, and I bet they don't want to compete with each other. So JLR will most likely give the F-Pace SVR a year of sales first.

It will be faster than the RRS SVR (as the F-Pace SVR already confirmed), but as rickjones said. The interior is smaller and it's lower. I also had a Velar loaner to play with for a week, and I'm not a fan. If I have to choose, I think I would prefer the F-Pace SVR over the Velar. I hope like the F-Pace, they'll put the pistol-grip transmission shifter into it. I never liked or get-used to the dial.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would guess the Velar SVR will coming in Fall 2019 as MY 2020. The F-Pace SVR will be a 2019 model, and I bet they don't want to compete with each other. So JLR will most likely give the F-Pace SVR a year of sales first.

It will be faster than the RRS SVR (as the F-Pace SVR already confirmed), but as rickjones said. The interior is smaller and it's lower. I also had a Velar loaner to play with for a week, and I'm not a fan. If I have to choose, I think I would prefer the F-Pace SVR over the Velar. I hope like the F-Pace, they'll put the pistol-grip transmission shifter into it. I never liked or get-used to the dial.

-ThinkMac-
I also dislike the dial but mostly for one reason -- if you like paddle shifting like I do, you can't change gears when the steering wheel is turned going around a corner. With the pistol shifter you can at least nudge it up and down and steer with your left hand. This feels more natural to me as I drove a manual transmission for 25 years. I don't do this all time, but often. S mode is pretty great but sometimes it holds the gear too long as it doesn't know if you're going to speed up or slow down etc. Anyway I agree I'd get the F-Pace SVR over the Velar as well and I think it looks great.

Not to beat up the Velar too much... I had mine for 10 months... It looks great IMO with a beautiful profile, front view and interior. The back I didn't like and think it looks sort of droopy and wimpy. Overall it's a bit pointless as it doesn't have much utility due to the proportions, and doesn't offer much over a sports sedan or wagon. I think a better value for money is an Audi RS5 or S5 Sportback or something from Mercedes or BMW. Unless of course it's to be taken offroad as it does offer something great there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts