RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took mine over the UK's highest public right of way last weekend......... made it to 9/10 of the way to the summit before the road tyres started loosing traction on the snow and ice and sharp steep hairpin bends.
Much to the surprise of 2 trails bikers who found an abandoned RR3 on the track, I left it behind and decamped to S1 Tdi200 Disco which completed the run with no problems.
Now, has anybody bought any suitable offroad tyres for their Mk3? All I have been able to find are Goodyear MTRs in 19" at nearly £200 each. These are the tyres the G4 V8's ran.
The pictures are here:
http://p078.ezboard.com/flandroversrusf ... D=80.topic

and some more here:
http://www.lrenthusiastforum.com/ubbthr ... =0&fpart=1

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
155 Posts
Hi Tim

Yeah I saw the pics over on lre, looks like you had a great day. Did you try letting the tyres down to about 25psi?? I've found this helps a great deal if struggling on snow and it's not low enough to cause any problems with tyres coming of the rim.

You can source the Pirelli All terrain tyres in the UK in 18". They have to be specially ordered direct from Pirelli UK though. The guys at Nene Valley Scotland should be able to help. The other route is to talk to Matt Lee nicely and see if he'll make you up a set of 16" mach 5's to order. He already does them for the P38 and Disco II, however, you might have to wait a while. This option will let you have any tyre you want, wheel arches permitting! :wink:

I personally wouldn't go for the 19" MTR's for the following reasons..
1. You have to go out and buy those expensive 19" alloys, even on ebay these are going to cost £100 each (he says after just spending nearly £200 on a single Disco II steel wheel, nuts and cap :wink: :wink: )
2. After a month of off-roading you now have four scratched and chipped expensive 19" alloys :cry: :cry:
3. The tread depth on the 19" MTR's is significantly less than on standard MTR's - so I would question how much better they are over an AT
4. At over £200 each :shock: :shock: they are more expensive than Simex Extreme's
5. I can't think of any more reasons, but they do look cool 8) 8)

The MKIII has only seen some gentle off-roading at a play site once as all of it is normally done in the p38 and 90 hybrid. Used one a couple of times now at Eastnor on both standard and advanced courses and it was very good, both times on road tyres.

I would find the MKIII too big for off-roading down here. Both at most of the play sites and green lanes I do it would soon look like it had been to a destruction derby. The p38 suffers a bit from this but it just manages to squeeze through most gates and the sides do take a pounding.

Cheers

Steve

by the way here's a pic of your RR taken off the lre board..

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SGL, Thanks for all that info - nobody has mentioned the 18" Pirellis to me! Cheers for posting the photo and I'm sorry to everybody who has been unable to get into the ezboards forum, it is supposed to be a public forum..... I didn't let air out, I'll try that the next time!
I also have a Def 90 CHT (converted to a CSW) that normally goes onto the serious stuff - the Coire Yarrick was really quite easy (up to a point!) and my Defender was taken over by a friend who normally drives a Freelander.

An early morning swim in the River Spey....... it was only -5C brrrrr

This is Land Rover Country then?
[/img]
In the Rothiemuchas estate forest

The RR on Ice up on the Coire Yarrick Pass

My Def90 on the summit[/img]

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
155 Posts
Nice pics Tim

It seems things change quickly, as well as the Pirelli it seems you can now get the BFG AT in 18". It is available in a better size than the Pirelli for height too, although it my be a squeeze on existing rims width wise. The Pirelli is 235/60 18 where as the BFG AT is 285/65 18. This will put an extra 1.5" under the car than the Pirelli.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

You could also go for the BFG 18" Mud terrain, but at 35" and 37" diameters to choose from you might want to check the wheel arch clearance first!! :shock: :shock:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/mud_terrain_ta_km.pdf

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I was in the local ATS today and they too said that BFG sell the A/T in 18" but the manager there (who runs a P38A RR) reckoned there might be problems with wheelarch clearance. He was intrigued that I actually took mine offroad.

G

·
0 Posts
I've only been off road a few short times with my 03 RR; very different that my Jeep Cherokee!

Looking at your great pictures reminded me of how terrified I was with my RR tires last winter on asphalt. You are very brave.

I wish I could purchase all-terrain 19" tires, but I have not found anything.

dG

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dereck, these guys in the UK will supply Goodyear MTR's as used on the G4 Range Rovers last year. They are not cheap - £1600 for 4 including alloy wheels, valves, balancing fitting and next day delivery transport from the central England to central Scotland (400 miles). They have just quoted a friend of mine in Austin Tx for the same tyres but to fit to his new LR3 HSE................. he hasn't had the quote for shipping from the UK to Texas but Bronco do international sales. I have also got a set of the Grizzly Claw Mud tyres that they feature on the site - 4 tyres +wheels etc overnight to Scotland was £400 which was unbeatable value. I have 15" Grizzlies that I run the Defender on if the terrain is going to be very wet/ muddy, which many of the offroad sites here tend to be. I n Scotland we cannot drive offroad without the permission of the land owner and only have two "green-lanes/ public rights of way" unlike England where there are less rigorous rules.
Bronco 4x4 are at http://www.bronco4x4.com

The Corner that brought me to a halt

Traffic Jam at 2500ft

G

·
0 Posts
Tim,

Thanks for the info, but in US$ that's like $3000, correct? Ouch, that hurts. Too much for my blood (yeah, I know the car was expensive).

I am not sure what I will do when the tires need replacing, but I think I have some time, there's only 21K miles on it right now.

Those are absolutely neat pictures.

dG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts