RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of half general talk and half about something vehicle-related. I bought the software and hardware interface for the L322-based all comms system from RSW solutions. The intention of purchasing this solution was to both be able to diagnose my Range Rover on my own and to also be a dedicated component of my vehicle safety kit in case of emergency. I ended up buying a cheap used netbook on eBay, and loading the allcoms system onto it for no other purpose but to have a small handy way to look at the diagnostics data and it not be bulky.

The only thing I am kind of iffy is while the whole point of this is to be able to use on the fly and to be able for it to be portable, I am kind of nervous if I leave the laptop in the car overnight with the cable and power cable even in a sealed bag, the weather where I live gets brutally cold at night. My concern is that due to the extreme temperatures the battery on the netbook might explode. Is this a valid concern? How do I keep it in the vehicle if possible and keep it from getting really cold?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
I have kept a laptop in one of my P38s for years with no issues. It has been in it's hard case from 110+ in Phoenix down to below zero in Chicago. I have never heard of batteries "exploding" due to cold temps.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would be more concerned about the battery issues in the hot weather more than cold.
I would think the issue with the cold is possible condensation when some components start to heat up more rapidly than others inside the laptop itself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have kept an IBM laptop in my vehicle at temperatures below -10F without any explosions or permanent damage. The only problem I have had was that the hard drive would not move (and therefore not start the computer) until the laptop warmed-up a bit.

You should be just fine!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
...The only problem I have had was that the hard drive would not move (and therefore not start the computer) until the laptop warmed-up a bit...
an SSD would cure this, no spinning...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts