RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the UK and drive a 2014 4.4 SDV8. I am changing to a new car to get the better satnav etc. Wondered about going to petrol - I have driven the 5.0SC which is lovely but 11mpg on my test drive made me think twice :) and have also driven the PHEV which I don't think is quite right for me.

A dealer has a new car - Carpathian Grey with vintage tan interior - which (to my eyes, and wanting a change from my current Loire Blue over ivory) looks great, but the engine is the new SDV6. Has anyone driven this engine, or does anyone own one who can offer some thoughts?

Interested in how it compares to the previous TDV6 and also - for those who have driven a v8 - whether you missed the anti-roll.

Much appreciated!

Fred

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
while my dad has a V6 I have the TDV8 and we occasionally borrow each other’s cars.
apart from the felt performance and growl (which both led me to buy the V8) it was the missing anti Roll that made my decision definite.
I find the difference in body control to be very pronounced and would not want to miss it..

cheers

Nick

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick - that is exactly my concern, and am test driving on Saturday. Gut feel is to go petrol but there isn't a 3.0 litre petrol in the UK range - which seems inexplicable given the market shift from diesel. Sad news in the press this morning about job losses at JLR and reliance on diesel would seem to be a factor.

Does anyone have the 5.0 SC and if so what mpg and range do you get? I get the logic that if you can afford one of these then mpg is less of a concern. That may be true, but range and the environment remain considerations.

Cheers

Fred

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I get about 15-16 US mpg out of the SCV8 in the winter. Maybe 17 in the summer, about 50% highway, 50% Boston traffic. (this latter is important because a recent survey showed that it's worse than the dreaded, world-famous LA traffic :D)
That means somewhere around 400 miles out of a tank. Obviously full-time city driving makes these numbers plunge further.

If I was concerned about the environment, I probably wouldn't be driving Range Rovers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts