RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted before about the unfortunate difference between taking out the big muffler on the '06SC (deep AMG sound with very sexy pops on the over-run) as opposed to the '10SC (VERY LOUD tinny sound with VERY LOUD rapid small arms fire on over-run), and was wondering if anyone had tried anything else yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Raab said:
I have posted before about the unfortunate difference between taking out the big muffler on the '06SC (deep AMG sound with very sexy pops on the over-run) as opposed to the '10SC (VERY LOUD tinny sound with VERY LOUD rapid small arms fire on over-run), and was wondering if anyone had tried anything else yet.

Thanks.
On the '06, are you talking about #7?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Raab said:
Don't really know what would prevent the '10 owners from being able to wake up that exhaust. If anything, it should be deeper with a larger displacement 5 liter. My guess is that they baffled and noise-cancelled the '10 exhausts so much that interuppting that flow has caused the disappointment in noise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am also looking to replace my exhaust and thought borla would have something out.

any tuners out there would like to make some money?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sound from the rear of the 2010SC is slightly deeper than the stock 2006 but from the front/side it’s very lightweight and even tinny. At idle there is very disappointing, almost diesel-like, rattle.

Blipping the throttle produces quite a few mini backfires that seem to be happening right as they exit the engine into the front end of the exhaust. They make a “tinkling” sound, again very lightweight and tinny. I imagine this is why there are so many loud and high pitched backfires when you take out the big resonator (#7). A friend suggested that this setup needs more backpressure than the 4.2l engine.

It’s amazing to me that 510 bhp can sound so anemic on this car. Having seen Clarkson shagging the arse off the XFR on Top Gear it’s clearly not the case with the Jags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts