RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommed a software which can be downloaded and used directly to connect my laptop to my RR .I searched here and also tried googling but to no avail.Some that i have downloaded require a interface or are for older windows version and have connection problems,I've got vista.

I tried the windows EAS tool and that works so my cable is not defective

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. There is only one Windows program for the EAS and only one cable for the EAS system.

Other systems reqire other cables and other software.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lemme explain I got USB to obd ii cable and want my laptop to talk directly to the RR without an interface .The EAS program i was talking abouy was to just check if the cable is working altough i have a coil conversions the programs still kinda "talks"to my car .
I just want a generic obd ii software that will TALK to my car directly from laptop without having the need for an interface .

·
Registered
523 Posts
desertdude said:
Lemme explain I got USB to obd ii cable and want my laptop to talk directly to the RR without an interface .The EAS program i was talking abouy was to just check if the cable is working altough i have a coil conversions the programs still kinda "talks"to my car .
I just want a generic obd ii software that will TALK to my car directly from laptop without having the need for an interface .
That still doesn't explain a great deal !!!

Firstly, the cable must have an interface built into it, as it's impossible to just connect the computer's USB port to the car's OBDII socket without something in between them.

Secondly, I presume also that the cable you have is based on an elmscan type interface & is actually designed for the ISO protocol, not PWM or CAN etc? Posting a link to where you got the cable from might be helpful, then we can see what you are trying to make work.

If the cable does have an elm-based interface built in then any of the freely available obdII software should work; ScanTool.net, wobd etc ....

Cheers,
Chrisall.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it says it supports all iso xxxxx and i read from the main site RR is also a iso xxxxx .thats why i bought it :(

Then which USB cable will ??????

I want to be able to connect it directly to the laptop ,and also a software
and like most RR owners I'm quite fiscally challenged aswell
If i wanst I'd just buy a **** testbook

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Secondly i was assuming that since a direct pc to obd cable exsist that it should be possible ,Then what good is that cable good for anyway or it is just RR's are like that .

i've never done any obd stuff b4 .this was my first forray into obd and looks like i've failed and wasted money.

So I ask for guidance from the knowledgeble on how I go on to acheive my goal .what about the package mentioned on the main site will that work ?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Desertdude,

No matter what lead you purchase off ebay or wherever, it wont do what you want it to do.

You might be able to get in & retrieve a code, & that's it. I don't think you'll be able to interogate or reset, & you certainly wont be getting into the what really matter modules on your vehicle.

You could buy an MSV from blackbox for about £150, buy a module set, & you're then completely set up.

You'll easily spend half of that amount & get nowhere the route you're taking. You'd really have to know your stuff before you try & build your own system.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Rick-the-Pick said:
Desertdude,

No matter what lead you purchase off ebay or wherever, it wont do what you want it to do.

You might be able to get in & retrieve a code, & that's it. I don't think you'll be able to interogate or reset, & you certainly wont be getting into the what really matter modules on your vehicle.
Agreed, the only thing you can do with a generic OBDII interface (either external, or built-in to a cable) is read the generic P-Codes, some live sensor values & turn off the check-engine light.

I'm still not convinced that a VAG-COM interface will work with a RR. I hapen to have one of those cables (for use with our other car - a Ford Galaxy which has loads of VW components) & if I get time I might give it a try using some generic OBDII software.

Deseretdude - what exactly is it you are trying to achieve ??? Have you got a specific problem with your RR that you're trying to fix?

Cheers,
Chrisall.

·
Registered
872 Posts
VAG-COM software and cables can work with the Range Rover. I have Ross Tech's software and cable for my Audi. It can read the generic OBD codes from the Range Rover with out problems. You can try downloading Ross Tech's shareware version and see if it will work with that cable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bud ,but sadly even the ross tech didnt work It wont regonize the vag interface I'll try something else along these lines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts