RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, been on the BMW forum for years. I'm currently driving a 2015 M5 with the lease ending later this year and am heavily leaning to the RRS as my next car. I'm just wondering what the consensus is in terms of '17 vs. '18 - my assumption is that the '18 is better, but are there reasons to argue the '17 is better? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts on this? I'm familiar with the differences between the two. I still see a lot of '17s on the lot, so I'd imagine they'll have to start discounting them soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m biased. I have a 17. Im incredibly happy. But I think 18 has a bigger or dual screen and better tech. Some aesthetic changes too.

But it’s a refresh. Not a full on change of model. Only you can decide which is worth it to you. For me, it was easy.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,148 Posts
If you compare equal models, I’d get a 2018 over a 2017 even factoring in a deep discount.

However for example if the discounts on the 2017 allow you to get a V8 over a 2018 V6, I’d get the 2017.

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMO, the only way a '17 is better is if you cant afford or are pushing your budget on the equivalent '18 model. Personally, I do like the dual screens and new tech in the '18 but the only downside I could see was that the screens may be scratched from use over time and some of the functions on the '17 are easier to get to. Things like your climate controls and seat controls are one less press to get to. I am sure you would get used to having to press a couple more times to get to the screens/functions that you want but having the most used buttons ALWAYS accessible is nice in the '17s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too faced this same decision recently. I opted for the '17. I researched quite a bit and watched a lot of You Tube reviews on the Velar with the dual screens and almost everyone complained about them. From finger prints to scratches, to features being within and menu, within a menu and harder to get to. There were also quite a few complaints of "bugs" that were still being worked out and kind of annoying. So that alone swayed me to the '17. I love the look of the new front end of the '18, but wish it had larger driving/fog lights, not a fan of the back. I know this is something that will grow on me eventually.

Are there any '18 on the lots near you? Here in CA there are a few on the lots already. I would say to sit in both if you can and see which one appeals to you more. Was it hard buying a year old model when buying new, yes, but it was discounted well and I am very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I thought the same thing about the screens when watching Velar videos. They're definitely more modern and look amazing, but not necessarily better. We do have a couple '18s in the area, but I'm waiting for the SF dealer to get one in so I don't have to drive 30mins. I think I'm leaning towards the'18 unless I get a ridiculous deal on a '17.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think either way you will be very happy! I came from Merceds, so I can not speak of BMW, but driving a Ranger Rover is a whole new experience!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just sold my Evoque for a larger car, as our 2nd kid is coming this summer.
However, the 18 model can only arrive as soon as Q4 here in Asia. I was speaking to my dealer, and they can give me discount on 17 stock, with the same spec and options, the difference is about $27K.
Im not a big fans of the dual screens, especially everyone seems having problem with it. The only thing i like of the 18 is the facelift head and rear lights, and I've read some threads saying the rear lights can do a facelift.
So, does it make sense to save $27K and a 8 months wait for the 18?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts