RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pictures of a heater core bypass? I am very visual and it will help me to temporarily bypass my heater core until I have time to replace the o-rings. Sounds like there are mixed results when changing out the o-rings.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,404 Posts
Crikey! It's so simple it doesn't need a picture.

Disconnect the two hoses where they go through the firewall and join them with a bit of copper pipe. A good choice would be a U-shaped fitting from your plumbing or air conditioning supply store.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,404 Posts
The heater core is copper. Here's one I bought and had to exchange (for obvious reasons):

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I was having a problem with mine, I took the inlet from the motor and looped it straight over to the, if i remember correctly, a t-fitting. I used the other, out-going hose, to loop the heater core side and keep it from dripping, while still keeping the hose around for later when I was able to replace it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,404 Posts
Yes, there are probably more elegant ways to do it than a U-bend, Jeremy. `)

I don't know the hose config for a 2001 model so I suggested the easiest way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i would have rather done it your way! I was in a pinch so I made do...by no means do I consider mine to be the correct way.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,404 Posts
:lol:

As long as it worked. I know about the U-tube idea as I found one in a '95 Discovery 1 that I bought a few years back. They'd bypassed the heater.

I replaced it as it is quite a quick and easy replacement job (providing one doesn't use the workshop manual instructions).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you have a cheat sheet to replacing the heater core? I need to replace my 1995 classic heater core but RAVE and all the other post make it sound very time consuming and diffcult. I am replacing the head gaskets now so I would like to make sure all the heating and cooling is working correctly

thanks,

jay

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,773 Posts
There is no cheat for replacing the heater core in a Classic. RAVE is pretty much dead on. Atlantic Britich has an excellent write up as well. Of course you may want to post in the Classic forum instead of the P38 forum for assitance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts