1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

New to the forum.

Thanks for any help,

My L322 (apart from the wonderful ignition lock and valve stem seal issue....) started making this engine noise. Only after running for more than 10-15 minutes, and usually after slowing down after a bit of driving and even at idle. It doesn't go away till the truck is switched off and let to cool down for at least 20+ minutes.

Thanks!

Dave
Florida
L322

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2002 BMW X5 with the same V8. Noise started similar to yours, turned out to be a worn water pump bearing. Chk the front of the engine, waterpump, fan clutch too might be the culprit also. Fix quickly to prevent a bigger cost if the fan clutch and/or wp bearing fail whilst driving.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,375 Posts
Try removing the belts to see if it is the water pump or alternator bearings. I had my alt bearings collapse last year which locked up the alternator breaking the belt. It's hard to steer with no power steering :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all new to the forum.

I have a 2004 4.4.V8 104k miles.
After a full service/oil service I've developed this noise. Could anyone tell me if this is timing chain or vanos.
Video

·
Registered
95 Posts
Could be the idler bearing. They get pretty noisy. A long screwdriver against your ear or an automotive stethoscope can really help isolate it. The other parts mentioned (alternator, water pump) are expensive so I would take a minute to narrow it down rather than throw parts at it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Take off the belt, come back to us.

What is with all of the M62 issues today?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I seem to recall that my M62 alternator made a similar whine before failing and breaking the belt, just like P38's ride. But other bearings might scream similarly, as others have pointed out. It's not uncommon for M62 alternators to fail after 100K miles, although mine went from normal to imploding within just a few minutes, VERY quickly. At first I assumed it was the adjacent power steering pump, but my Rover mechanic later mentioned that he had never needed to replace an M62 steering pump -- apparently those are pretty durable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts