RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 is nearing 65k miles and is due for a major. Dealer wants 1500 clams. I don't see any reason why I couldn't perform the service in a few hours' time with proper OEM LR parts and good guidance. I'd say I am a modestly competent mechanic with good tools and I work on my Carrera 4 pretty regularly.

Anyone accomplish this service? What good write-ups/videos exist out there?

Thanks all.

ketel

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Download the rave manual (search the forum) it has guidelines for service/mileage

after you've figured out what you'd like to do, consult the rave manual for the how-to

·
Registered
300 Posts
I recently completed a major service on my truck. Dealer wanted about $1,400 and Indy quoted about $1,050. Since I am anal and don't mind getting my hands dirty to get it done right, I tackled the entire list of major service items myself. In the process I realized my valve cover is still leaking and was able to get that repaired "again" under warranty. Most of the work was very straightforward. I did spark plugs, coolant flush, replaced a bad ignition coil, oil change, brakes and rotors and brake fluid flush, just as I was basquing in the glow of my success, 2 days later the battery light came on when I was driving to work and it died about 5 minutes later. Needed a new alternator, so I did that too. It was an intimidating job, but also pretty straightforward.

I think in total for the service items, I think I spent less that $400. I recommend buying the coolant from your BMW dealer for $21 per gallon vs the range rover dealer for $42 per gallon. Bastards!

Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RR Family said:
I recently completed a major service on my truck. Dealer wanted about $1,400 and Indy quoted about $1,050. Since I am anal and don't mind getting my hands dirty to get it done right, I tackled the entire list of major service items myself. In the process I realized my valve cover is still leaking and was able to get that repaired "again" under warranty. Most of the work was very straightforward. I did spark plugs, coolant flush, replaced a bad ignition coil, oil change, brakes and rotors and brake fluid flush, just as I was basquing in the glow of my success, 2 days later the battery light came on when I was driving to work and it died about 5 minutes later. Needed a new alternator, so I did that too. It was an intimidating job, but also pretty straightforward.

I think in total for the service items, I think I spent less that $400. I recommend buying the coolant from your BMW dealer for $21 per gallon vs the range rover dealer for $42 per gallon. Bastards!
RRFamily - That's great! But, I still need a good guide. What did you use? Just the RAVE manual? Anything else? Help needed!

ketel

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just used the rave manual. Most of it is common sense, but I used the manual and stuck to the recommended torque values and procedures very strictly. Sometimes the manual runs you around quite a bit, but in the end, it is very thorough and a great resource.

as far as oil change and spark plug change, no manual is really needed, but it doesn't hurt.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts