RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right this one has me beaten:

I started yesterday getting a tyre scrubbing noise and funny steering, today it got really bad.
The car jumps at speed with steering snatching and any sort of corner it certainly sounds like tyres scrubbing.

Yesterday if I jacked one wheel I could turn it slowly, today I could not.

Now this all sounds to me like a viscous coupling siezed? So today I took off the front prop shaft and it promptly made no diffrence.

With it off I get the same symtoms, lift both rear wheels and turn one the other turns the other way. turn the rear prop and both turn the same, carry on but put a boot on one wheel and only one turns. This all says to me the rear Diff is OK?

I can't seem to get the center diff to rotate opposite, IE if I turned the disconnected front drive flange then the rear turns the same way, if i jack two wheels on one side and turn one then the other turns the same way.

Is the viscous coupling siezed or not? if so why did removing the drive shaft amke no differnece?

Thanks all you clever people???????

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another couple of thoughts if anybody can help?

When I turned the front propshaft coupling with the propshaft removed and the back wheels off the ground the rear shaft turned the same way. - Should it? Does anybody know if both shafts turn the same way or with the axles having front and rear inputs do they turn in opposite directions?

I can't lift four wheels free of the ground so if one side is on the ground and the other lifted what should happen if I turn one wheel?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts