RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I want to remove the cowl vent grill that mounts on the center rear of the hood (bonnet for those across the pond?). I'm sure there's a technical name for this piece, but hopefully you know what I mean. It's the part with the windshield wiper squirters built into it, and is satin grey on my '04 HSE.

The finish on the piece has worn off in a few places, and I'd like to remove it to repaint it.

Anyone have any advice for how to remove this piece without damaging it?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
469 Posts
It comes off very easily with a few push fasteners. Just lift the bonnet, and you can see them. You can take a hammer and lightly tap them from underneath. The only trick is removing the washer jets without breaking them. I take mine off each new vehicle to mount the mascot.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

Now I just need to figure out how to pull off the small silver trim strip that goes on the rear liftgate, directly below the Range Rover script. I assume it just mounts with double sided tape, but I'm not sure what tactic I should used to remove it. I'm guessing just hit it with some heat and carefully pry it off, but would love some feedback if anyone has any.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
469 Posts
Yes, that small trim piece is held on with adhesive. The best way to take that off (or any of the letters) is to heat with a hair dryer and then use dental floss or fishing line. I like dental floss as the wax coating will not scratch the exposed paint work. I use this trick if the dealer "forgets" and puts their logo crap on the back of the car....
Best of luck....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on that trim piece. I got it off last night and cleaned all the old double-sided tape off.

I'm planning on stopping by the bodyshop tomorrow to drop off all the parts so they can be sprayed in satin black.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
ASGIBM said:
...the mascot.
Cool Mascot!

I push the fasteners up from the bottom with a pair of long needlenose pliers, compressing where the fasteners bulge out for retention. I've heard people break the hood vent trying to get it off, and they're a few hundred bucks to replace!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how do I remove the washer jets?? I was going to cut the washer fluid lines and pull the easy electrical clips on both sides until I saw those three little heater wires? I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts