Range Rovers Forum banner

Anti Roll Bars leaking front and back...

38K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RRSSCKid 
#1 ·
Ok I had my 75k service and they said the car was fine apart from leaking at the front and back (anti Roll Bars), I am selling the jeep in around a year so they said leave it as it will cost 3-4000 UK Pounds in total to repair...

Is this going to be a problem for me driving the car? it drives well but obviously a leak is a leak....

#8 ·
Nani said:
Ok I had my 75k service and they said the car was fine apart from leaking at the front and back (anti Roll Bars), I am selling the jeep in around a year so they said leave it as it will cost 3-4000 UK Pounds in total to repair...

Is this going to be a problem for me driving the car? it drives well but obviously a leak is a leak....
Anti roll bars, also called sway bars, are solid pieces of steel....didn't know they had fluid in them?

#10 ·
The sway bars of the S/C (and the TDV8 in the UK, I gather) are hydraulically controlled by integrated actuators fitted on both front and rear ones, aka Dynamic Response. That system, rather than the stabilizer bars themselves, is probably what's leaking - DR is a very complex mechanism composed of an electronic module, a fluid reservoir, pumps, solenoid valves, actuators, accelerometers... lots of stuff that can malfunction or develop a leak. I guess the questions is, how severe is the leak and have you experienced any system faults / error messages because of it? The mast of the forklift in my warehouse has been slowly leaking for almost 10 years, we just park it on a sheet of cardboard over the weekend and add a quart of hydraulic oil every few weeks, and have saved ourselves a couple of thousand bucks in repair bills to repack that sucker with new gaskets - so far. :lol:

#11 ·
No error messages at all, the car suspension makes some noise when I stop but its not so bad..... the dynamic fluid has only gone down a little so I assume the leak is not bad.... land rover didnt seem so worried, but it makes me think whether I should sell the range rover sport now....

Is there anyway I could plug the leak?

#12 ·
i have had the exact same problem 2 months ago.
the dealer fixed it free of charge because my car was under warranty, but guess what?
my car is at the dealer again, getting its sway bar leaking fixed.
you can tell when you sway bars are leaking when you can hear creaking going over bumps and when stopping the car.
it is very annoying and an expensive job, dealer said around 2 or 3k fixing it if i didn't have warranty.
but if you do decide to fix the leak, just keep in mind that the problem may come back. just look at me now :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.