RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys been to look at my second RR today and she was beautiful check it out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 720wt_1138

Only problem is the guy selling it says that he thinks the exhaust manifold gasket has gone and is blowing which is causing a tapping / ticking noise. You can only hear it on the left hand head (as if you was looking at the engine). My dad, on the other hand thinks it's a cam rattle :shock: which is a lot more serious so I yet again have walked away :cry:

I'm not a mechanic and my dad isn't really a mechanic either but he's been around enough engines and **** boxes to know whe there may be a problem.

She's done 103k so any opinions from you guys?

Ideally I need a mechanic I guess but times running out.

really gutted about this one.

Tom

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Both are easy weekend fixes. I seriously doubt if it were a cam that you would only hear the noise on one side. Perhaps a real mechanic should check out the rig if you find it that attractive. True you may eventually fall onto just the right rig. Then again this may be it and you are letting yourself get scared off without full and proper info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
Both are easy weekend fixes. I seriously doubt if it were a cam that you would only hear the noise on one side. Perhaps a real mechanic should check out the rig if you find it that attractive. True you may eventually fall onto just the right rig. Then again this may be it and you are letting yourself get scared off without full and proper info.
So you reckon it's worth a go?
When you say easy weekend fix do you mean for a mechanic? :?

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
How about you go back and look at the Rover. Take a socket set. With the owner's permission, try to tighten up the exhaust connection. If the sound goes away...bully for you! If not, walk away.

Its just a suggestion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OkieRover said:
How about you go back and look at the Rover. Take a socket set. With the owner's permission, try to tighten up the exhaust connection. If the sound goes away...bully for you! If not, walk away.

Its just a suggestion.
Yeah sounds like a good one but from the sellers point of view I wouldn't want a stranger messing so I might just bite the bullet and go for it and hope it's a simple job :pray:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
MrTom said:
OkieRover said:

Its just a suggestion.
Yeah sounds like a good one but from the sellers point of view I wouldn't want a stranger messing so I might just bite the bullet and go for it and hope it's a simple job :pray:

Its a exhaust leak.

Take the chance if its the cam which I really doubt resale it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just out of interest. Why do you all think the cam is safe? (trying to learn as much as possible) are they pretty tough?

Thanks for all your input.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
You could replace the cam, timing gears and chain for under $250 and do the job yourself in a weekend with basic tools and a little bit of reading. Exhaust gasket replacement, even with rusted nuts would be under $100 and an afternoon project. You might have to buy a deep well socket for this one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rrtoadhall said:
You could replace the cam, timing gears and chain for under $250 and do the job yourself in a weekend with basic tools and a little bit of reading. Exhaust gasket replacement, even with rusted nuts would be under $100 and an afternoon project. You might have to buy a deep well socket for this one.
bloody hell you could do all that with the engine still in the vehicle!? 8-0= doesn't that involve getting all the timing set up etc?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Downlaod RAVE and read up on the proceddures. Cam can be pulled through the front of the vehicle after removing the radiator. THe intake and valley gasket have to be pulled to remove the lifters prior to pulling the front of the engine to remove the cam. This entails replacing pretty much all of your gaskets. Great news is that this also will solve any leaks you have, give you a chance to flush the cooling system and also allows you to clean everything up. Figure a day to pull everything off and clean and another day to reassemble. Take lots of pictures so you can refresh your memory on day 2. `)

The exhaust manifold just requires a few days of soaking the bolts and nuts in penetrant prior to removal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rrtoadhall said:
Downlaod RAVE and read up on the proceddures. Cam can be pulled through the front of the vehicle after removing the radiator. THe intake and valley gasket have to be pulled to remove the lifters prior to pulling the front of the engine to remove the cam. This entails replacing pretty much all of your gaskets. Great news is that this also will solve any leaks you have, give you a chance to flush the cooling system and also allows you to clean everything up. Figure a day to pull everything off and clean and another day to reassemble. Take lots of pictures so you can refresh your memory on day 2. `)

The exhaust manifold just requires a few days of soaking the bolts and nuts in penetrant prior to removal.
Will do. Never heard of Rave is it available to download via this site / forum.

I'll call the seller tomorrow and see if we have a deal. :wink:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
MrTom said:
Just out of interest. Why do you all think the cam is safe? (trying to learn as much as possible) are they pretty tough?

Cams rarely fail. Exhaust leaks happen alot. The Rover V8 dosnt havent a history of cam issues.
You can rebuild the motor without pulling it. Head jobs and about everything else is a weekend task.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doctor Leo said:
MrTom said:

Cams rarely fail. Exhaust leaks happen alot. The Rover V8 dosnt havent a history of cam issues.
You can rebuild the motor without pulling it. Head jobs and about everything else is a weekend task.
Awesome. This is why I like this forum.
Hope one day I might be able to help a noob like me :thumb: Hopefully the seller will accept the deal.

I have to admit...... I nearly brought a frontera today :oops: sorry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rrtoadhall said:
MrTom said:
.... I nearly brought a frontera today
We really try to discourage the use of foul language on this site. :mrgreen:
HAHA bad isn't it. I did say sorry though.

I looked underneath one and saw it had leaf springs on the rear :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Springs are not bad when it comes to load hauling. Offroad wise they are too stiff. Longer the spring better the ride aswell

I prefer coils aswell unless its on a pick-up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well/ He's accepted my offer. I look forward to asking you guys lots of questions. it's had some Orange fibreglass to fill some small holes on the top of the arches that you can see when you open the passenger doors so they need to be sorted.

Is fibre glass as good as a weld in those areas as they aren't load bearing areas? Would it be safe to sand it back and blow over it with some paint?

Oh I downloaded rave. Looks very helpful I take it it's another version on the haynes Manual which = the bible to many :pray: please don't be a 5 spanner job please don't be a 5 spanner job

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
MrTom said:

I could say Occam's Razor or any of a half dozen other theories when it comes to Range Rover problems. I read and or see 100 exhaust leak posts compared to one cam shaft post. In any case, you would replace or fix the cheapest thing first. And an exhaust gasket leak is definitely easier and cheaper than the cam shaft repair.

In my experience some people have a tendency to jump to the worst situation first. I see it every day with the "kids" (twenty somethings) I work with. Instead of looking at the issue and investigating the obvious things first, they jump to the most obscure and least likely thing. I don't mean that in a derogatory way to you or your dad. Its just what I see all too often.

Keep in mind the worst, but fix the cheapest first.

MrTom said:
Oh I downloaded rave. Looks very helpful I take it it's another version on the haynes Manual which = the bible to many :pray: please don't be a 5 spanner job please don't be a 5 spanner job
I think you will like my Difficulty Scale.
http://www.okierover.com/difficulty.htm

Check out my blog and website for tips. And welcome to Range Rover.

·
Registered
201 Posts
replacing the cam is not an easy task its a real bitch to get to IMO. Whats up with those fuel injectors? is that some LPG conversion? Congrats on the new purchase 103k isnt bad, I say do a fluid/coolant/filter (not transmission) change and install a 180 degree thermostat

Unless that truck has been completely neglected its got some life left in it, Rovers love cams even with adequate service with quality oil they are hard on them. Look down the oil fill hole if its nice and shiny go for it, if its sludged up and nasty RUN

1 - 20 of 21 Posts