RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2001 P38 came with one key fob. The type with the folding key in it. Everything works fine, and I have already had the experience of replacing the door latch when a problem started last year. After reading the many posts on this topic, I am concerned that if I ever lost this FOB I am SOL. My vehicle is in virtual showroom condition and I've invested bucks in keeping it in top notch mechanical condition. I've read that the FOBs are no longer available in the U.S. I did call my dealer, gave him my VIN, and he asked me which one I want to order, the one with the key or the one without. I was surprised I'd even gotten that far as I was expecting to be told "no longer available". Anyway, he said to come down with ID and proof of ownership and this is a prepaid non refundable item. It would seem prudent, regardless of cost, for me to procure one if this is indeed true. From what I understand you cannot have two FOBs simultaneously working (not sure of that) but if I had one on standby in the event of a loss couldn't the dealer program the new one when I need it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
So,
What are you waiting for!?
Grab your one fob, and head over to the dealership with your proof of ownership......
I believe you will find that he has not looked far enough into the database to find they are no longer available.....
(Oh well, nice day for a drive anyway....)
IF he actually takes your dough, and sells you one, POST BACK as all indications are that No NAS fobs are available......
If you have, for example "Key 1" (on the sticker on the back of the key) you can get "Key 2-4" and no conflicts or issues. I was told however that all 1,2 and 3 fobs were sold out years ago, so, again, the parts guy is assuming.
Should you get one,of any number, please post dealership name so I can try to get an second fob for the Borrego.

There IS and option available, which is a "Lock Kit" from the dealer. This is, apparently all the locks and 2 fobs......and is about a grand.......Ask him about that option and if you can, get the details for us?

As for being SOL when you lose the fob, yep! there are 2 other threads beating this dead horse into the ground at present.......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went to the dealer with my documentation. The one who told me the fob was available. Sure enough, they checked around and call Land Rover only to confirm that the only way to do this is to buy the complete "kit". $640. Worth a try anyway.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Well they need fobs for the kit. Proves my point that they do still exist. I think if somebody has NO fob I can still buy them here in CR, we have plenty of owners who would order one for 'their' car. All you need to do is change the Barcode number in your BECM

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
So I went to the dealer with my documentation. The one who told me the fob was available. Sure enough, they checked around and call Land Rover only to confirm that the only way to do this is to buy the complete "kit". $640. Worth a try anyway.
Wait a second.......ONLY 640 bucks for the door lock, ignition lock, glove box lock AND 2 fobs???? (throw in a rebuilt door latch when you do the door lock and you are like new)
That is a bargain!! Fobs alone were in the neighborhood of 300 bucks last time I got one.
For someone with NO fobs, that is the smart move!:thumb:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wait a second.......ONLY 640 bucks for the door lock, ignition lock, glove box lock AND 2 fobs???? (throw in a rebuilt door latch when you do the door lock and you are like new)
That is a bargain!! Fobs alone were in the neighborhood of 300 bucks last time I got one.
For someone with NO fobs, that is the smart move!:thumb:
To me, $640 for a lock kit or $300 for a keyfob is way too much. This is why we need to exorcise immobilizer, enabling aftermarket remotes to be used. I have paid $500-$600 for a complete running 4.0 engine and transmission a few years ago, when I needed it. You can buy a complete Discovery II with rotten rear subframe for this much in my neck of the woods. This is an outrageous price in my book. Call me a cheapskate if you want.

·
Super Moderator
2,316 Posts
You're a cheapskate, and one that is living in the past too. Yes, a few years ago you could pick stuff up for next to nothing but not any longer. I bought a 4.2 Jag engine for £30 a few years ago, now I'd need to pay around £2000......

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was quoted over 600AUD for a FOB last year..

How does that go when the locks on your car are changed? What turned out to be the issue with mine.
The dealer told me it was wise to order just a key ($20) on VIN number to see if the car still had the original locks in it. Only the glove box turned out to have the stock lock in it.

Therefore I ordered a whole set (Keys/locks/BECM/instrument cluster) from E-bay from UK wreckers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts