RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yes, it's been covered many times but I haven't found anything that has really matched very well. I think what I've got here is the closest to stock without stock, with the exception of a rough feeling.

Now, I went around to paint shops and none would match the paint, all because it is a matte finish. Defeated, and not wanting to attempt to clear coat so it could be matched (though I will be trying that) I searched around and found this stuff:
IMG_1390.JPG (mind the dirty alcantara)
and bought for around $14.00 from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duplicolor-Textured-Metallic-Charcoal-Enamel-Coating-Aerosol-Spray-Paint-Can/282322166105?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Now, for the prep the different panels acted differently. The door pull surrounds were by far the easiest, with sanding with 220 and 400 they were ready with no more pealing of old paint. I wiped it down with some alcohol wipes, and gave them a misting of the paint from about 2 feet away and let dry for 15 minutes. This was repeated multiple times to get complete coverage. For a finish I did a thick coating from about a foot away to cover the rest, and to leave a nice smooth finish.

Next was the cup holder, I sanded the same way, and misted the whole thing the same way as well, but when it came to the inside I gave a couple shots directly to the middle and it left a nice finish all round. The rear seat heater panel was the most difficult, while very easy to take out, the paint on them is worse than the pulls and cup holder.
IMG_1384.JPG While this doesn't look bad, it looks prepped and all, once I sprayed it with paint the rest of the old paint started pealing unlike the other pieces. I had to end up pealing off the rest of the old paint with a pick. This was by far the most time consuming. After the sanding with 220 to 400 I wiped it down with some alcohol wipes and sprayed like I did the other pieces.

IMG_1385.JPG Here's everything drying.

So how did my mediocre painting turn out? You tell me :shock:

IMG_1386.jpg
IMG_1388.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG

Besides my dirty leather, I think it looks quite good. But judge for yourself :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
That looks great! Do you think it would improve longevity to give it a couple coats of matte clear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks great! Do you think it would improve longevity to give it a couple coats of matte clear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I don't know! Try it and let us know 8)

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty dang sharp! of course you could stop at that second pic and do a camo job. ;-)
I was actually thinking that myself! It definitely would make a unique look, maybe someone will try :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make your not wood trim than :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts