RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have an EAS transmission fault. Some of these issues have surfaced briefly in the past and were easy to clear, however the faults are now persistant.

Symptoms:
DSC warning on
ABS warning on
HDC Inactive warning
Air Susp Inactave warning

GAP IID BT Codes (Don't know P-codes)

Some of the codes have been persistent since I bought it a couple months ago and haven't had time to fix, but with no other symptoms. These codes are in BOLD (persistent since vehicle purchase) below along with the new codes that started today:
_
----- New Faults -----

ABS - Brake Module
  • 0x68 Steering angle sensor ECU internal fault
  • 0x5A Temporary system deactivation
EAS Suspension
  • 0x32 CAN bus fault
LCM - Light Control V1.1
  • 0x57 Air Suspension active/inactive
  • 0x5F Check Coolant Fault
  • 0x7B Front Right sidelight defective
  • 0x7C Front left direction indicator defective
SASM - Steering Angle
  • 0x4 Steering angle sensor fault during normal operation
___
---- Persistent Faults ----

IP - Instrument Pack

• 0xBD EBV function fault received from ABS ECU
LCM - Light Control V1.1
  • 0xC ECU EEPROM fault
  • 0x94 Unknown
  • 0x95 Unknown
PATS-Antitheft
  • 0x33 Key 3 Random code tolerance increased
When I go through the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) calibration procedure using the GAP IID, and the faults clear.
I then can execute the renew ECU procedure using the GAP IID tool, and the faults stay cleared.

Here is where I think I am on to something and hopefully this is a good clue. I display the live values for the SAS, and all seems to work good until you turn the wheel too far to the left, or right. When you turn the wheel too far in either direction, the dash lights up the christmas tree again, and the Steering angle gets stuck at 1433.6 degrees (same value every time), and I can repeat this same procedure ad nauseaum with the same results.

Could this really be as simple as replacing the SAS? What are some tests I can do to isolate the fault. And if this could be a cascading fault situation, where might I start to look?

Thanks. I am sorry if this is too verbose, and again, always appreciate the help.

Registered
Sas getting stuck on a value means your sas is bad. Normally when the wheel is returned to straight the sas should read 0 degree. Yours does not. Once you fix that, your christmas lights will go away. By the way the sas itself really doesnt go bad. It is the contact brushes inside of it that wear out causing improper contact. I refurbished mine with sturdier internals sourced from https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-X3-mini-steering-angle-sensor-repair-kit-DIY-repair-/113538959838. Then I put it back and recalibrated it. Should last for a very long time. I wanted to buy a used sas but I didnt want the same problem to repeat itself too soon so I went with repairing it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Sas getting stuck on a value means your sas is bad. Normally when the wheel is returned to straight the sas should read 0 degree. Yours does not. Once you fix that, your christmas lights will go away. By the way the sas itself really doesnt go bad. It is the contact brushes inside of it that wear out causing improper contact. I refurbished mine with sturdier internals sourced from https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-X3-mini-steering-angle-sensor-repair-kit-DIY-repair-/113538959838. Then I put it back and recalibrated it. Should last for a very long time. I wanted to buy a used sas but I didnt want the same problem to repeat itself too soon so I went with repairing it.
Ya the SAS getting stuck was the giveaway for me too. I have looked at possible adding a bead of solder to facilitate continuity at contact point.

I may look at doing the same thing by rebuilding it.

Thanks.

If anyone has any additional input just let me know.

Registered
I have contacted with Gap company and they said you can ignore below fault hence it is related with iidtool and can not be erased
-0xBD EBV function fault received from ABS ECU

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I have contacted with Gap company and they said you can ignore below fault hence it is related with iidtool and can not be erased
-0xBD EBV function fault received from ABS ECU

Good information. I thought it may be related to the fault. It has been there since I bought her. But glad to know it's erroneous..

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: On a whim, I decided to try changing out the battery for a new interstate. This doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

I have a steering angle sensor rebuild kit on the way, And I will update this post when I receive the part and do the repair.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts