RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
During the weekend the truck (4.6 year 2000) struggled to raise herself up and went into hard fault mode.
After driving to work on the bumpstops,and spending a couple of hours on this website reading up,i fitted a manual pump up system.
The system works well,but, when she reaches a certain height,the exhaust valve operates and down she goes again.
would this be because the fault has not been cleared on the idiot brain box?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
If you are going to install a manual pump up system to make your rover driveable until you figure out the fault, you should bypass the system and connect fill points straight to the airsprings in the same way that the single-mode bypass system works from carroll rovers. Otherwise, its going to keep having problems until the real issue is addressed.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Most likely dead compressor due to leaks.
If you install a manual system remove the relay under the drivers (LHD) seat.
This will stop the EAS adjusting itself, but gives a fault.
Seeing as you already have a fault in the EAS that shouldn't be a problem.
Are the airsprings cracked and generally looking the worse for wear?
Does the vehicle stay at the 'pumped up' height when left for a while?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me again,
I did fit the manual system to bypass the valve block,the systam works well but the truck still lowered down.
My first thought was an air bag needed replacing,but in the end it was a bad sealing joint where the air line went into the top of the airbag,i pulled out the airline,cleaned it and repositioned it into the bag....no more dropping down,no more leaking air!
Thanks for your input gents....and once again this website proves to be a goldmine of info...........

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's aswesome that it was something simple. EAS systems are pretty good for that, simple but infuriating little gremlins that you have to chase around the truck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks as if i was wrong about the pipe into the airbag....rode into work on the bumpstops again this morning.todays project is to take out the airbag and check it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you don't have a way to read/clear the faults you really ought to look into buying or making a serial to OBD II cable and hooking up with the killer free software from rsw solutions. It doesn't just clear the faults but lets you do pretty much everything, the most helpful being the ability to read faults. Its hard to fix a problem without being able to pinpoint which part of the system needs the attention.
Totally worth it.

Also, doesn't hurt to go to work with a spray bottle full of soapy water, a little of that goes a long way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts