RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I've had no issues with my air suspension until I put it on off road height yesterday. It went up as it should and happily drove around, sat parked running for some time and it came up with the error message and a hard fault (no lights on height dial) as I lowered it back down.

It sat at normal ride height without any issues.

Put it on a diagnostic machine and it stated 'reservoir drops when filling' so we reset this fault a few times while trying to hear where a leak may be coming from.

Now both rears have fallen to the bump stops (fronts haven't moved a mm) and error is now 'reservoir pressure remains static' and as it's noticed a pressure change the reservoir pressure sensor appears to be working. So while attempting to equal the rear ride height it's emptied the reservoir, can't fill it and can't raise the rears.

The pressure release valve is fine.

My question is on the operation of the system which should point to the location of the issue. From what I can see the compressor goes to the rear crossover valve, from there it goes to the reservoir. Is it a more likely a split/hose snapped/leak between the rear valve block and reservoir, so the reservoir could not build pressure, released it all to raise rear springs and the valve block to the rear springs opened to accept air which released what was already in the springs?

Does that rear valve have an exhaust port that may have stuck open?

Or as both rears have gone down equally, does that point to the issue being the pipework to, or the rear crossover valve? Is there a common fault such as this as I can only find about the fronts when searching. If the valve is stuck can it be fixed or is it a replacement part?

Any pointers much appreciated as I can't struggle under the car without a better idea as it's freezing and difficult to lift high enough for decent access.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all, fault now cleared and coming up with no error codes.

However rear springs still on bump stops

height indicator says off road setting (front could be), rears won't move and height indicator just flashes to the height you select.

compressor runs momentarily, fronts do not release air, rears do not pump up.

diagnostic says height setting invalid

what am I supposed to be checking here or can I do?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Those errors are normally associated with a compressor that is weak or totally failed. Some have luck cleaning the exhaust air filter also located in the wheel well with the compressor.

I would attribute the rear dropping to an anomaly from clearing the codes so many times with a failed compressor.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Philip, standard thought is that rear bag has been leaking and your compressor has been overworked trying to maintain air in the tank and keep up with the leak. However we have no clue what year your rig is or mileage. Please add you Rover's info to your signature so we can give more accurate info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all, thanks for replies.

It's a 2003 TD6 with 112k miles on the clock.

I've left it for weeks without use and the rear springs do not sag when not in use so I do not believe there is a leak in them.

Compressor has been rebuilt not long ago and previously filled reservoir quickly according to last diagnostic.

I have no codes now, however the diagnostic machine says ride height is 'invalid' opposed to standard/offroad etc and the value for one of my rear height sensors is off the chart so not registering although no code thrown.

Is this height sensor dead and throwing it onto the bump stops as it doesn't know what height it's at?

Could I fill the reservoir with an air hose and an external compressor going into the pipe by the pressure release valve?

·
Registered
82 Posts
AS someone who invested thousands into fixing their EAS, it really boils down to a few areas. Disclaimer, mine is a 2006 which doesn't use the WABCO compressor like your 2003.

1. If both front or back are on the bump-stops at the same time when you wake up in the morning, it could be dirty Valve Blocks (located behind the passenger rear and front finder). Take apart and clean. There are rebuild kits on Ebay for $30-ish.

2. Bad compressor. Their are kits that allow you to rebuild, especially the dyer beads. If air bags have had leaks for way too long, then compressor needs a replacement. I had an issue with my compressor as it would kick on, but the solenoid would get extremely hot and really do nothing.

3. Bad air shocks. These shocks at the best case last 75,000 miles. Check for leaks using water bottle and soapy water.

4. Ride height sensors. Ride Height Senors do go bad. This is best to diagnosis using a LR scanner. The likely that two are bad at the same time is rare. If you had bad ride height sensors, you would get a code "lost communications with ride height sensor". You can also on a super rare occasion have a bad ride height control module.

5. Reservoir. Very unlikely, but the reservoir can get rusty/nasty and cause a leak. I took mine out and discovered in had a lot of dirt inside, but wasn't the cause of my EAS issues.

A good starting point is to get all four shocks at normal ride height, then disconnect the battery for a few days and measure any changes in ride height. this will tell you if you have a compressor or air spring/valve block issue. Honestly these EAS are very straight forward and no need to stress like I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts