RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the 06 this morning to go to work and the truck cranks over as normal, but no start. No issues like the column didn't unlock, or anything like that everthing works as always it just didn't fire. Drove it yesterday and it operated exactly as it has since I've owned it, no issues, no weirdness or anything. This morning it just cranks. I'm suspecting a fuel pump issue, fule pump is about 8 months old, but it is not an OEM pump. I didn't hear it run when I turned the key (radio was on the first time so it may have and I just didn't hear it) but the fuse is fine, and I swapped the relay just for good measure and there was no difference. Didn't have time to check actual voltage at the fuse, or relay terminals as I had to get to work, so I stole my sons Celica and left it in the driveway. Will hook it up to SDD and pull out the volt meter when I get home. Thing that sucks is that if its the fuel pump my tank is 7/8 full. I'm going to have to move about 25 gallons of gas somewhere to get in there.

First electrical (maybe) issue with the truck since I've had it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it fired right up and ran for about 3 seconds on a blast of starting fluid in the intake tube. I can here the fuel pump relay clicking when the key is placed in run but no pump noise, now I just have to check for voltage voltage at the electrical connector on the top of the tank, but it looks like I get to dive back into the tank to replace the pump. Can hardly wait, got to hide 25 gallons of gas somewhere while I yank the pump.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the update, sorry for your frustration but glad to hear it was a relatively simple issue versus something complicated like ignition switch wiring etc...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
A good reminder on the starting fluid test. I'm sure your son will be happy to "borrow" the fuel from your tank but a tedious chore none the less

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success, sort of. Fuel pump is back in truck starts and runs BUT, my fuel gauge is still reading empty. Of course you don't find that out until after you fill the tank.

Went to Harbor Freight and bought one of their their 9.99 battery powered fuel transfer pumps, and pulled about 22 gallons out of the tank, my son and wife now have full tanks in their Toyotas, and I kept about 3 gallons for myself to get to the gas station. Pump worked great but the discharge hose could be about another 2 feet longer so it can reach a tank on the ground, I had mine sitting in the spare tire well and then had to drag it out without spilling any.

Pulled the old pumps out and put the new back in. I know all the electrical connections are hooked up properly for the level senders, but I neglected to check if they are free to move or not. I think the one on the main pump might have got hung up on the tubing inside the tank or something. There's nothing over on the jet pump side to interfere with the sender, so I guess next weekend I'll be going back in to check the floats to make sure they are free. It will take me that long to get the tank drawn back down to near empty, and now I have no where to put any extra gas, except my single 5 gallon gas can and my 69 Camaro tank. I'll just go with the odometer to figure out when I should be getting low enough to get to the senders.

I did find one oddity while testing. Before I pulled the pump I went to check for voltage at the pump terminals and there was none. Even after turning the key on and off again there was still not voltage. Went back to the fuse panel and there was no voltage at the fuse for either the fuel pump or the emissions pump. I guess those are controlled by the ECM somehow, and only get power on initial start and after the engine starts. It doesn't keep activating the pump every time you turn the key, only the first time. I just plugged in the new pump and it ran just like it was supossed to so I was still confident it was the pump, and it was.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found the wiring diagram for the fuel pump. That 25A fuse for the FP that I couldn't get voltage at is down stream of the fuel pump relay, which is controlled by the ECM, so the end result is the same I just thought that the 25A fuse was upstream of the relay. The FP relay has to be energized for there to be voltage present at the 25A FP fuse in the rear fuse panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts