RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

So this is my first question after reading this board for months. My head is spinning from all the great information and i am on the prowl for my first rover.

This is going to be another buy this or that question.

Currently I have the choice between 3 differnt Rovers: The first is a 2001 Blue HSE with 90,000 miles. It has a clean carfax and service reports. Still has EAS and a few nice upgrades. They are asking 9500.00

Then there is a 2003 MKIII that has 83000 miles on it that had been sitting at a impound lot. A mom and pop rover dealership bought it and is looking into doing all the fixing to get it back into shape. Its going to need a new bumper, some major paint work, brakes, and tires. They said I could purchase for 12,000.00 before they do the work or they think theyll put it on the lot for 18,500.00 once all the work is done.

I just wanted to get you guys thoughts on when rover.

Also are the 2001/2002 HSE rovers better mechanically then the 2003 rovers when the changes took place?

Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Kaden171 said:
Currently I have the choice between 3 differnt Rovers: The first is a 2001 Blue HSE with 90,000 miles. It has a clean carfax and service reports. Still has EAS and a few nice upgrades. They are asking 9500.00

Then there is a 2003 MKIII that has 83000 miles on it that had been sitting at a impound lot. Its going to need a new bumper, some major paint work, brakes, and tires. They said I could purchase for 12,000.00 before they do the work or they think theyll put it on the lot for 18,500.00 once all the work is done.
Also are the 2001/2002 HSE rovers better mechanically then the 2003 rovers when the changes took place?
P38s are good but require attention regularly... but it depends on a number of factors as the P38 has now become affordable many people are buying them for the bling bling effect, you know flashy car big man syndrome.. bad move so depending if its going for every day use then no I would go for the 3rd generation (MKIII)
As far as reliabilty in the MKIII there have been a number of issues with gearboxes and bellows (Air springs) if you dont want to spend a fortune running a Range Rover then the P38 wins as parts are plenty as to the prices, air bags are a perfect example vs the MKIII
for looks and styling the MKIII wins all the way but some interiors are kinda boring

As for the one thats been sitting in the pound I would look further who owned it and why it got there, if for financial reasons
I bet neglect is of considerable cause for concern, 18k on the floor....nah these are now entering the market at a fast rate.

One of my suppliers is concerned wether the MKIII is going to be a good choice to back up compared to the P38, I think it should be and we're hoping prices of parts will reflect that as it is generally a good vehicle.
times are hard and Im betting there's going to be some good bargains to be found, next year the ultimate Range rover comes out and its going to be jammed packed with some really good features which means dealers will want to move on the MKIII as trade ins flood them, when this happens lots are going to be available and prices drop, Im also hoping parts prices at dealers for the P38 drop too as a water pump on a P38 is more exspensive than the MKIII with the BMW V8, go figure....

you'll need to do some more research and chat with others that have the MKIII, the sport is smaller but I think more suited to 4x4ing if thats what you want to use it for, the diesel is more economical and well proven vs the P38 diesel.

Here where I am I would say the P38 has a cult following, many look after them but many fall victim of neglect of bad shoudy repairs either DIY or dealership, mainly DIY and lack of spending the money to maintain is of concern hence why Im getting rather busy just on the P38 front...

Which ever way you go I hope you decide for the right reasons, both or very capable machines, personally I like the DISCO 3

·
Registered
874 Posts
P38A has the old fashioned look to it, but if you don't mind that I would recommend the P38A from parts availability and reliability standpoint over early MkIIIs.

From what I hear early MkIIIs have lots of issues, and the issues are typically costlier ones. If you want the late model look, I think 2006 on is a safer bet. Of course, the cost goes much higher.

90k P38A, if well maintained, and have no powertrain issues, will probably end up costing you lot less than the MkIII that sounds like it's been neglected. I would suggest to drive around the P38A for couple years, then move up to 2006 and later RRs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOw Many thanks on the great information. I agree with the thoughts of how the newest rover is going to cause a flood of MKIII to the market. Im acutally looking for this a fun secondary vehicle as I have a company car that is completely paid for. I want something to drive on the weekend, both onroad and off. I like the old school body styling of the P38 as I am a hughe 72-74 bronco fan.

Im wondering which will become a better collectible, the MKIII's or the P38's?

Also it seems the MKIII can have as many problems as the p38's specifically the early MkIII years.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey, good to hear that you like the shape of the P38A. I like the no-nonsense styling of it as well.

Anyhow, if you're looking for something to appreciate, I don't think neither models will do. For something to appreciate, better off buying Patek complication watches or some fine art. I think the reasonable question would be, which would depreciate slower. In that respect, I would say P38A hands down, as it's value has gone down so much already.

Speaking of collectibles, there are a few examples of P38A that are worth looking into. There are several different series, but special run models like Holland & Holland and Rhino edition, may potentially be worth more in the future. If you haven't heard of Holland & Holland edition, you should search around the internet. It's definitely more luxe, and the interior treatment is super nice...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts