Range Rovers Forum banner

Another 2010-2012 FFRR transmission failure

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bigmakk 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a call from the Aamco shop that rebuilt my ZF 6HP28 the other day.
They said that they have another 2012 RR in their shop that they also found the splines between the transmission output and transfer case input rusted to failure, and asked for a reminder of where I found a source for the transfer case input shaft or the transmission output shaft - I forget which. I think it was the transmission output shaft because, oddly, I remember that ZF Eriksson had the transfer case input shaft, but not the transmission output shaft. So I found the transmission output shaft available from Cobra Transmissions, in Sebring Florida.

But anyway, I find it interesting, but not surprising that they are repairing another occurrence of the shaft failure, apparently from LRs failure to properly apply spline grease to the junction of the input & output shafts.

And as far as my transmission since Aamco repaired it, it's operating great; shifting smoothly and flawlessly - granted only a few months after the rebuild, but nothing to suggest that the Amsoil Synthetic transmission fluid would cause any shifting problems. Of course this is with all new friction plates, solenoids and other parts that are replaced with a rebuild.
I expect to get many years from this transmission now that the failure built-in by Land Rover has been repaired, and the transmission is now BETTER than when it first came off of the production line.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It was around $6700 as I recall without pulling out my receipt.
If you're willing to pay a relatively small amount now, you could have your transfer case dropped & the shafts inspected, and properly greased, and avoid having to do the much more costly & time intensive repair done when it does fail.
If you have a good transmission shop locally, it might be an option. Many transmission shops, I wouldn't trust, but after a little research the Aamco shop I chose seemed like a good bet, and that proved true. I'd like to think that they are NOT the exception to the norm, but I don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.