RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

This is my first post over here :) anyway :) as my topic I have some problems with EAS and I was thinking that today I do no work/experiments on my range rover, today I just speculate what could be wrong and tomorrow I will look into it and try to solve it ... maybe even connecting EAS unlock suite and EAS driver will tell me the error but I have to bring computer to car and extension lead and everything ... like I said today Im easy and do speculation and tomorrow I will fix it :)

first my story :) it begin quiet some time ago I had EAS fault and I bought from ebay a cable and with it I got also EAS unlock suite software. But as there was some anomoly with it I couldnt get it to work (first it came out that USB to serial cable was incorrect) ... but even using old computer which still had COM port I couldnt get it to work ... it looked like it just cant synchronize itself with EAS driver ... I solved this by getting a new EAS driver(ECU) (second hand) ... it solved the synchronization problems ... yesterday I re-calibrated my wheels and everything was okay. Just on the evening I lowered the car to access mode and left it like that and today it does not rise anymore, the pump is working just it does not rise ... visual inspection shows that pump is working(as I said and when I left the car on for quiet some time it(the pump/compressor) was still running) and there is no sound of leak ...

that's my story can somebody offer any help ? any advice ? or any test I shall perform to get bottom of this ?

my own speculation right now is (only one thing that I can think of but it sounds bit unrealistic to be true) that while I was changing EAS driver(ECU) I did not but any sealant on pressure sensor, I just screwed it in ... and maybe because of it, it didnt work properly anymore and kind of blew main tank ? is it possible ? regardless just before I lowered it to access mode EAS was working perfectly.

somebody please :) help ... actually everything that goes on under the hood is kind of mystery for me and as I like my range rover a lot I kind of have learned a lot in these last weeks about it and EAS :)

for the end yes :) my car is '99 range rover (P38) 2.5l turbo diesel.

sorry about my english, it is not my first language

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Hi,

Do you speak french?

I believe you've a worn EAS compressor and a major leak in your system?

How good are the airsprings?

Florent from Paris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey,

I guess it might be leak in system somewhere or maybe yes, compressor just does sound that it is working and actually is not ...

but system worked just fine, before I lowered it to access mode and left it there ... airspring are okay, car stays in access mode ... spring are holding it does not fall to really really down.

is there some way to find out does compressor work or not ? (yes it does make sound ... but I mean does it pump any air)

sorry I do not speak much french either, I live south-west france and I get by with my french but my english is way better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi
Try item 10 of the FAQ (air suspension)
I found easiest way to check if compressor is actually pumping air is to unscrew AIR FILTER on end of compressor and put a largish piece of card over the hole and a fair amount of suction should be felt. I am reluctant to mention I used my finger!
Good luck

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Agassi said:
I am reluctant to mention I used my finger!
It's the way to do. With practice you can almost feel what's the power of the compressor ;)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
StonieMalony said:
hey,

I guess it might be leak in system somewhere or maybe yes, compressor just does sound that it is working and actually is not ...

but system worked just fine, before I lowered it to access mode and left it there ... airspring are okay, car stays in access mode ... spring are holding it does not fall to really really down.

is there some way to find out does compressor work or not ? (yes it does make sound ... but I mean does it pump any air)

sorry I do not speak much french either, I live south-west france and I get by with my french but my english is way better.
The fact that the car stays in acces mode do not say that the airsprings are ok.
About the system worked just fine before that event, well all EAS failure appears the same exact way. It works and then it doesn't. It's rare that the user feel/see the little leak that kill compressors

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,355 Posts
First thing you need to do is fit a pressure gauge under the bonnet (or hood) to see what is going on.

Get a 2 inch air gauge on Ebay - they are cheap. 0 to 12 bar with 1/8 " male bsp rear entry.
You also need a 6 mm plastic tee with push in connections and a 6mm x 1/8" female bsp connector for the back of the gauge. Also a short length say 1M of 6mm nylon tube.

Cut the pipe going to the air reservoir just after it comes out of the valve box- marked purple - and insert the tee. Mount the gauge on a bracket somewhere suitable.

Won't solve the problem but it will show if the pump is OK and if there are leaks.

Dave
:)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
yep, worn out compressor seal.

And don't use plastic fittings under the hood on the air system, most plastics used in airline quick-fittings are rated to 130F, much lower than under hood temps. They won't handle the heat and will fail, rather quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey,

The idea that compressor is gone seemed like nice thing to believe and I tested the compressor today, I removed the filter that it has in air intake and it barely sucked some air ... anyway then quick I did go to garage and told them my sad story and they gave me one second hand compressor just to test ... bad luck as I got back my mate was gone and as sad time I had all my tools in his car ... anyway I connected just the power of the new compressor and it worked louder and it took more air in but not a really lot more air ... but it was noticeable

can it be that I have leak somewhere in system and as my old compressor got worn out it did not pump anymore enough air to make the system work ? is there some easy way to track down the leak ? or it is all trial and error kind of thing ?

I already like this forum :) anyway I havent got around to bring computer into car so I dont know maybe EAS unlock suite will give some error messages that will clear the thing ... or shall I but my bet right now on compressor ? :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
other anomaly I noticed while I was re-calibrating my range rover that it seems that front wheels right and left have mixed up ... can somebody tell me which color of pipe goes into which hole so I can check is that part alright (maybe last owner have done some bollocks there)

thank you :) this forum is light at end of my tunnel :) I hope reach there :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
StonieMalony said:
other anomaly I noticed while I was re-calibrating my range rover that it seems that front wheels right and left have mixed up ... can somebody tell me which color of pipe goes into which hole so I can check is that part alright (maybe last owner have done some bollocks there)

thank you :) this forum is light at end of my tunnel :) I hope reach there :)
You should have some number on the color thing. Then you have some numbers too on the side of the EAS box.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey there,

meanwhile I tested the compressor and it was okay and then I noticed as car was running that air continually comes out of the silencer (I unscrewed the silencer). The I figured that valve block is goner and I ordered a new valve block(second hand but tested) with new ECU, today I just installed it and no change, air is still coming out of silencer and car does not rise as it shall do ... please help, now Im really out of ideas ... what can be a problem ? what shall I do to find a solution ? help help help

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
StonieMalony said:
Hey there,

meanwhile I tested the compressor and it was okay and then I noticed as car was running that air continually comes out of the silencer (I unscrewed the silencer). The I figured that valve block is goner and I ordered a new valve block(second hand but tested) with new ECU, today I just installed it and no change, air is still coming out of silencer and car does not rise as it shall do ... please help, now Im really out of ideas ... what can be a problem ? what shall I do to find a solution ? help help help
Looks like the diaphragm of both blocks is shot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep but can cause it ? because second one came as tested, it is hard to believe that it was tested and then it managed to have exactly same problem as old one. maybe fault is somewhere else and actually the old block is also good one ... Im thinking out loud here :) maybe something somewhere is blocked and as air can not go to main reservoir or whatever it come out from silencer ... anyway is there some way to test this diaphragm ? or any other tests that you can tell me that shall shed some light on it ?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Yes it is strange but 2nd hand tested do not mean rebuilt. You could check the diaphragm of the old block easily, there's only 4 screws. Look for roverrenovation instructions. Another idea is to use EAS Suite and click on "pump on" to activate Compressor and see if it still leaks at the exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey,

when I used EAS suite and pump on it still leaked from silencer outlet but I noticed that when I turned the pump off again it still leaked for some time, I guess it leaks only some of it and some of it goes where it suppose to ... anyway tomorrow I will get my old valve block open and check the diaphragm, I havent downloaded roverrenovation instructions yetm can somebody give me link or just google will help me ? is that diaphragm repairable ? I have at home right now 3 valve blocks, my own then one that I took ECU but this valve block was given to me as it was leaking or something but maybe I can take parts from there to fix my old one ? and then I got this one that I got from eBay and was supposedly tested ... maybe I can make one proper valve block out of these three ones :) hopefully :)

what can make this diaphragm fault ? or what can be the cause of it ? maybe I shall look into it as well to make sure that it will not happen again ...

Im missing me range rover :) first thing when I get it working I will go and try to get stuck somewhere (that's my hobby :) to go out and try to get stuck somewhere, I guess for that range rovers are made for :) offroading :)

any ideas, suggestions anything welcome :) even good luck :) because I guess I need it :)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
http://www.rover-renovations.com/kb_results.asp?id=24

I am doubting you had 3 bad diaphragms myself though...
+1

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
only two have this problem, one I havent used at all I just took ECU from there. And now I did some testing with just blowing air into compressor hose and on old one air was coming out of hole below silencer and from the silencer while the one that I havent used yet the air came out only from the hole below the silencer (7) ... that suggests that maybe yes the diaphragm on old one is goner and the one that I havent used is okay.

Im just thinking maybe there is something else wrong that made my old diaphragm broken and also made the new tested block broken ... Im just speculating now(thinking out loud) can it be that air dryer is blocked somehow and as pressure builds up it kind of break the diaphragm ? do air dryers get blocked ? is there any way to test it ? except taking it off and just blowing air into one hole and looking will it come out of other one ?

I feel bit better already, at least I see where the fault is but now I just need to figure out why it is there ... and maybe tomorrow I can take it to some muddy place already :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts